What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ampullaria.... in felt!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I need a small trash can for the FIAT, and decided that I wanted to make it. Various ideas flowed through my head, but then I thought of an amp, and the idea stuck.

Six skeins of yarn later, here is what I came up with this:

128.jpg

The special speckly green was done by crocheting with two yarns at the same time. One was a lemony green, and the other more of an olive. The peristome and lid got bright red and burgundy. Here's Squirt showing a little scale. And a lot of kitty.

133.jpg

I had some yarn left over, so I made a miniature. It was just.. because I can.

126.jpg

Making the lid green on one side and red on the other was a toughie! I had to make two lids, and make them nearly identical, but with the green one longer, and attached lower. Then I had to sew them together, using four strands, one of each color. I believe the result was worth the extra effort. When I was sewing the lid together, I had a couple yards left over. I made a spur, using all four strands at once. With a little size G hook, in the truck, on the bumpiest section of freeway in the county. Tricky.

135.jpg

Felting wool is a process involving lots of really hot water, and even more elbow grease. Or you can use your washing machine, if you don't mind cleaning felt balls out of it for the next week.

See the shrinkage?

139.jpg

I had designed the peristome to roll out a little, then double back over itself and in, just like a real amp. Looks like I need to re-engineer that, and give it more "out" before it doubles back. Also, the peristome is supposed to form a collar, and point more toward the center of the pitcher, rather than straight down. This one goes the wrong way. I can fix this by cutting out a pie-wedge and sewing it together, and by decreasing more aggressively when crocheting the next version.

137.jpg

I hadn't planned this, but I found the PERFECT use for the little amp. Behold! The amp can cooler! Get it wet, and it keeps your canned soda, bottled water, Nep. juice colder all day.

141.jpg

This is a work in progress. If I can reliably make another, AND write down the pattern, I'll make more. Someone already suggested Helis. I think I'll try that. Plus Cephs and more species of Nepenthes.

AWESOME!

I still say that first one would make a sweet winter hat! I'd wear it! :)

Those are INCREDIBLE! :hail:

I tried, pre-shrinkage. It didn't fit. :awesome:

Ah well, I can't wait to see more - I love creative stuff like this! :)

haha.. I like your model.

That's just precious. Since N. ampullaria is a detritivore, it can feed reliably well on the detritus of your Fiat! :D

Hey, no stealing my idea for backpacks and messenger bags. You need to add the alas on the next one. How long did they take? I plan on making the bags for the ICPS conference. I'll be making the wire underframing and painting the fabric, my girlfriend will be sewing them together. I'm not as good with fabric as she is. The next step will be sleeping bags!

On another note, I test drove a 500 a few days ago. I absolutely loved it! It's a shame I need a larger car for my sculpture work. Fiat needs to bring the Punto over here.

:0o:
That.
Is.
NUTS.
Bloody BRILLIANT, it is!!!!
:laaa:

You know you've done something right when even the cat likes it.

Wow, that looks amazing! You have quite the artistic... whatever it is that you have artistic!

Do you have enough yarn for a N. Rajah?:lol:

That's just precious. Since N. ampullaria is a detritivore, it can feed reliably well on the detritus of your Fiat! :D

That's exactly my thought as I was making it. :-O

Hey, no stealing my idea for backpacks and messenger bags. You need to add the alas on the next one. How long did they take? I plan on making the bags for the ICPS conference. I'll be making the wire underframing and painting the fabric, my girlfriend will be sewing them together. I'm not as good with fabric as she is. The next step will be sleeping bags!

On another note, I test drove a 500 a few days ago. I absolutely loved it! It's a shame I need a larger car for my sculpture work. Fiat needs to bring the Punto over here.

Ohhh, a messenger bag... Nice one!

Don't you know, these are representations of the rare upper pitcher. :lol:

Stalks off, mumbling: "How the H#!! did I forget the alas?!?"

Thanks for the :banana2:'s, guys!

Wow, totally not what I was expecting... BETTER THAN I WAS EXPECTING!! :awesome:

Pure awesome ness. :spazz:

She's at it again....

E8BA9070-1870-4DCF-914C-3A632A877C9F-1685-00000193A7EE7B27_zps1f95a220.jpg

This time, I'll be using just one strand at a time; being frugal for now, and trying a different brand of yarn which is thicker. I'm making the pitcher red/purple speckled with a green peristome. That's a lime twist, rich? This one will, hopefully, become a yarn bowl (something to keep the ball from rolling away as you pull yarn off it as you work), so it'll be a little tubbier than the green one.

No, I won't forget the alas this time. :p

Haha ! Nice pitchers lol

And nice cat too :)

Nice Heli!

I've frogged* it three times now. The fourth try's the charm, right?

*Frogging is pulling apart a knit or crocheted project. The act got the name two ways; when you pull out the stitches it makes a croaking sound, and it is also called ripping, and if you say "Rip it! Rip it!" fast enough....

Back