What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,
After over a year of delay, I finally managed to get some sterile cultures going last March and in early May. It sure is convenient to have access to a lab with flow hoods and ethanol/supplies! The jars and gel/nutrients are all purchased by me though.

I was in san diego all summer so i made these cultures a week before i left, placed them under my lights with the rest of the plants in the basement (~80-85F in summer), and then I came back after 3 months to see what happened :0o:.

I decided to use a ton of media in each of the jars so that they could hopefully live longer after germinating.
I should've used more gelrite since the gel was almost liquid after it solidified...so after 3 months, the plants used up all the nutrients and the gel became entirely liquid for many, even though I stirred the gelrite/nutrient melted mix really well before pouring most of the jars. Tips would be appreciated.

but here's what i did if you're interested (I used 1.5-mL microcentrifuge tubes and vortexed them on the vortex genie):
70% etoh rinse for all seeds, 2mins
Larger seed size group- do 6 min vigorous vortexing in 10% bleach (ie D. capensis, D. indica)
Med seed size group- do 6 min vigorous vortex in 5% bleach
Small seed size group- do 4 min vigorous vortex in 1% bleach (ie for D. burmannii or sessifolia)

My mix:
1/3 MS with vitamins (full conc. Is 4.4g/L)
30g/L sucrose
2.0g/L Gelrite

After spreading the seeds out with a pipetteman, I sealed the jars with micropore surgical tape, commonly used at ISU in tc labs.

About 1/4 didn't germinate and 1/6 had contamination. hopefully i will get better with time. I will also be taking a graduate level horticulture class to learn about sterile protoplast culture, pollen culture (i think) and other tc techniques, which should be amazing!!!

I am extremely appreciative of everyone's help- especially Dudo, Matt, and anyone who helped answer my annoying questions :)

So enough talk...here are the pics:
tc_jars_post.JPG

tissue_culture_setup_post.JPG

D. anglica
Anglica_Alakai_Swamp_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. anglica var. 2
Anglica_Kanaele_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. ascendens
Ascendens_Bandeira_Peak_tissue_culture_post.JPG

not all the plants made it...this jar didn't have enough media in it to keep them alive
Ascendens_Bandiera_dead_tc_post.JPG

D. brevifolia
Brevifolia__tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. collinsiae
Collinsiae_Magaliesburg_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. indica from my 1st attempt:
Indica_tissue_culture_post.JPG

I should've stored it in the fridge, cuz it ran out of nutrients :(
Indica_dead_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. nidiformis
Nidiformis_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. sessifolia gone wild!
Sessifolia_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. tokaeinsis jar 1 (just a little bit overcrowded ;))
Tokaeinsis_jar2_tc_post.JPG

D. tokaeinsis jar 2
Tokaiensis_tissue_culture_post.JPG

D. tomentosa
Tomentosa_tissue_culture_post.JPG

VFT (the only seed that germinated)
VFT_tc_post.JPG

typical D. capensis, grown in my 1st attempt and stored in the fridge for 3 months
Capensis_fridge_3_months_post.JPG

All sundews will be used for/by the ISU CP Club that my friend (forum name peat) and I started.

Thanks for looking!
Aaron

dang it....i wish my school had a CP club....i guess we're not as cool as you. your CP club is getting spoiled SILLY! super jealous!

D. ascendens!!! :laaa:
Good god man, share that wealth.. ~puppy dog eyes~

Wow those are some cool sundews!!

Good god man, share that wealth.. ~puppy dog eyes~

I agree

Aaron,
Good to see you are still going at it!
Plants are looking good! As always!

:wave:
"Yo" to you & Phil! It's been a long time!

:water:
Paul
GrowinOld

Personally, anyone who knows you, realizes you have already shared the wealth!

Oh nice, sundew-master :hail:

simply stunning! Cruising around your website the rest of the collection looks amazing as well :D

man, I gotta get into TC!

< adds to the list >

That's just so cool!

I think it's awesome that you were able to start something and have it grow for three months without any care whatsoever. The magic of tissue culture!

Thanks everyone! you're far too flattering :D. I agree microprop. makes it waaay easier to raise dews to maturity, which is why i wanted to try it so much. It's a bit painstaking though, even in the lab, so i'm in awe of people who are able to successfully do this at home.

I will do my best to keep these alive til i get back to school and hopefully i there will be some time to give some spares away.

Good to hear from you Paul! Hopefully we can make it to another midwest gathering in a year or so. Hope everything is "growing" well for you ;)

Impressive and educational! About how much did the ingredients cost and where did you get them?

Wow, you certainly did amazing! Especially for your first shot at tc!

Bravo, sir. :clap:

Dang you rocked the TC dews. Well done Aaron !

Update! :spazz:

Back