What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some new pick-ups from the NWCPS get together...

Brie

Sarracenia freak
Thanks tons to Kristoff for putting this together and getting everyones foot in the door into a great new club.. And thanks to Scott and Scott for feeding my addiction and being generally awesome people. ;)

'Triple Rarity' (oreophila x jonesii) x alabamensis
6063871433_53a7041f92_o.jpg

6063871383_a2c9076789_o.jpg

'Scarlet Belle'
6063871323_6993e0e74b_o.jpg

rubra gulfensis "red" x Okee Giant minor
6063871219_38d01ceb5e_o.jpg

6064419012_467c103a0c_o.jpg

'June Bug'
6064418918_ffb5a5d390_o.jpg

'Dixie Lace'
6064305046_5745bbd52a_o.jpg

6063757907_c20f42e077_o.jpg

6063757947_c765853e4b_o.jpg

And finally! I got some purp "montana"!!!! One pot from Kris and one from Swampdonkey. Before unpotting them
6064304988_b9c78ec8aa_o.jpg

Seperated and replanted in my bog bowl
6063757995_2c17aa6c7d_o.jpg

6064321464_eb216e2a4d_o.jpg

6064335474_73e6d33ce5_o.jpg

6064321430_a12f9de26f_o.jpg

And a couple non-sarr additions from Kris. :)
P. 'Titan'
6064419240_7f1c3e141c_o.jpg

And a pot of seedgrown baby cobras
6063871479_e9854b7604_o.jpg

Jealous! :D

ugh.. Montana.. how I love you so.

Hi Brie! It was a great time. Good food, new friends and way cool plants. Glad we helped with your addiction. :-D Thanks for the Nepenthes alba! The nights are pretty chilly where I live so it will probably be happy in the window at home. Btw, check the label as I think the 'June Bug' label indicated it was an F2, which would mean it is a seedling from a "selfing" of 'June Bug'. Will be interesting to see how it grows as 'June Bug' for me tends to produce distorted pitchers/tubes. A BIG THANKS to Kristoff for organizing and hosting the event, being the grill master, and sharing his plants. Already looking forward to the next meeting. :bigthumpup:

Last edited:
rubra gulfensis "red" x Okee Giant minor is an epic plant!

Saturniid:
Would it be possible that the June Bug is open pollinated? The parentage of June bug is (alabamensis x psittacina) x oreophila, and while it is possible with an F2, the plant looks different than what I would expect.

Saturniid:
Would it be possible that the June Bug is open pollinated? The parentage of June bug is (alabamensis x psittacina) x oreophila, and while it is possible with an F2, the plant looks different than what I would expect.

It could well be an OP seedling. I was wrong to state that it was "selfed" as I didn't make the cross. Thinking about it for a bit, and knowing the person who made the cross generally doesn't bag the flowers which are located in a greenhouse full of other blooming Sarracenia, the pollination could certainly have been contaminated by an errant bumblebee. I had wanted to alert Brie that she shouldn't label it as 'June Bug' since that cultivar is a clone and must be asexually reproduced to be labeled as that cultivar. To label a plant as an F2 really doesn't convey as much useful information as labeling it more specifically as "x OP" for open pollinated.

Out of curiosity, what characteristics of this plant lead you to question that it might have been the result of a self pollination?

So Jealous!! :D

It could well be an OP seedling. I was wrong to state that it was "selfed" as I didn't make the cross. Thinking about it for a bit, and knowing the person who made the cross generally doesn't bag the flowers which are located in a greenhouse full of other blooming Sarracenia, the pollination could certainly have been contaminated by an errant bumblebee. I had wanted to alert Brie that she shouldn't label it as 'June Bug' since that cultivar is a clone and must be asexually reproduced to be labeled as that cultivar. To label a plant as an F2 really doesn't convey as much useful information as labeling it more specifically as "x OP" for open pollinated.

Out of curiosity, what characteristics of this plant lead you to question that it might have been the result of a self pollination?

Self or open? If you mean self, well, you have to self the plant and then bag the flower. For open, well, the plant just doesn't like it would selfed. But that plant is amazing!

Back