User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5.8 Earthquake

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    Tell that to the Japanese
    ...who had an earthquake over a thousand times more powerful, with a reactor forty years old and without any real harm in the end... Heck, a hydroelectric dam broke there at the same time and killed about five hundred people. Ever hear about that?
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deeply apologize for having caused this earthquake.
    Earlier today I was at lunch and discussing hurricane preperations with facilities maintance due to the threat of Irene hitting us.
    I was trying to explain how realatively secure the building would be from damage and had causally said
    "It's not like we have to get ready for an earthquake."
    Less than a half hour later the quake occured.
    Again,I apologize for any inconvience that i may have caused.
    BTW..the reactors at north anna were just taken off for a precaution. i checked, and hope the sources are right.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Poor chib

I hope everyone's ok.. I know it's something you don't really prepare for on the east coast. Now you still guys have that Irene coming your way too.
    well..we dont really *need* to prepare for earthquakes around here..Jokes are already making the rounds!

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-08-23...ast-earthquake

(I know its not a laughing matter to those of you in California..sorry about that...the "joke" is probably more about poking fun at ourselves, because its SUCH a huge deal this afternoon, but in reality it's pretty much a non-event..)

I felt it clearly in Rochester, NY! my desk at work was vibrating..really weird sensation! I couldn't *see* any movement, but I could clearly feel it..probably about 50% of people around here felt it..the other half missed it completely and felt nothing..

Hurricane Irene has much more potential to be genuinely dangerous..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregNY View Post
    A friend of mine in Pittsburgh felt it as well. Amazing
    Really? I felt nothing and I was either in Target or in the car at the time. I missed out on experiencing an earthquake.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

My office attacked me. desk drawers flew out, files and binders cascaded through the air and one bookcase almost fell over. I tried to satnd up and couldn't. My brother up in Rhode island felt his building sway.
    Aww Hope you feel better.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    ...who had an earthquake over a thousand times more powerful, with a reactor forty years old and without any real harm in the end... Heck, a hydroelectric dam broke there at the same time and killed about five hundred people. Ever hear about that?
    Tell that to the Japanese
    If they evacuated all the buildings in downtown DC, don't you think that a nuclear power plant would also be subject to worried bureaucrats?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deeply apologize for having caused this earthquake.
    Earlier today I was at lunch and discussing hurricane preperations with facilities maintance due to the threat of Irene hitting us.
    I was trying to explain how realatively secure the building would be from damage and had causally said
    "It's not like we have to get ready for an earthquake."
    Less than a half hour later the quake occured.
    Again,I apologize for any inconvience that i may have caused.
    BTW..the reactors at north anna were just taken off for a precaution. i checked, and hope the sources are right.
    Well...well, now we know why it hit (joking...don't take offense-anyone)

I just barely heard about the quake, from the forum...It's amazing how some info gets to the forum faster than it gets to the news. I didn't see it on the news the other night, which I DID watch. Hope everyone is ok, and the damage wasn't too severe.

I won't be cracking any jokes about us having a quake here because we are supposedly like 100yrs or more over-due for a major quake. The plates are supposedly under a ton of pressure here and really shouldn't have been able to have held this long, which of course means that the longer we go without a quake, the worse it will end up being when it hits. Anyways, hope everybody is ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt it out here in Ohio! The liquid in the media bottles in my lab was sloshing back and forth and the whole building was gently swaying. Overall, it felt the same as the 4.something I felt when in San Diego a couple years ago for a conference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read that lots of small quakes were going on all over around the same time!
    Means only one thing!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast