What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USPS Follies . . .

There's a foolproof way around this. I always write in bold marker on the package:

YOU KICK IT, YOU DROP IT, IT EXPLODES IN YOUR FACE!

:jester:

I had one time when I was supposed to receive an order of plants, so I made arrangements to be home when they were delivered. Anyways, I was pulling into my driveway when the USPS truck drove up. The lady hops out of the truck, grabs my package, which was carefully labeled with all of these: "Perishable: Live Plants," "Fragile, Handle with Care," and the "This Side Up" Well somehow she must have gotten the idea that these meant to see how far she could throw; needless to say, I watched in horror as my plants were chucked about 50ft, straight at my front door. The package missed, hit the bricks on the side of my garage, bounced off and got skewered onto my railing! It was literally hanging on my railing, with the bar going all the way through it! Man did I yell at her! Plants were ok, but one had to be repotted, the railing had gone right throw its pot...somehow it recovered despite having most of its roots shredded.

I had one time when I was supposed to receive an order of plants, so I made arrangements to be home when they were delivered. Anyways, I was pulling into my driveway when the USPS truck drove up. The lady hops out of the truck, grabs my package, which was carefully labeled with all of these: "Perishable: Live Plants," "Fragile, Handle with Care," and the "This Side Up" Well somehow she must have gotten the idea that these meant to see how far she could throw; needless to say, I watched in horror as my plants were chucked about 50ft, straight at my front door. The package missed, hit the bricks on the side of my garage, bounced off and got skewered onto my railing! It was literally hanging on my railing, with the bar going all the way through it! Man did I yell at her! Plants were ok, but one had to be repotted, the railing had gone right throw its pot...somehow it recovered despite having most of its roots shredded.

Oh....my...god...... :ohno:

HE HE For all it's foibles at least we do have a postal service but for how much longer? :lol:

We could wind up in the league of Somalia, the only other country without a postal service I can think of off the top of my head. Good times are a comin' if everything has to go UPS, Fed Up or DHL... Yikes $$$

HE HE For all it's foibles at least we do have a postal service but for how much longer? :lol:

We could wind up in the league of Somalia, the only other country without a postal service I can think of off the top of my head. Good times are a comin' if everything has to go UPS, Fed Up or DHL... Yikes $$$

Seriously!...Hey come to think of it, if someone were to actually start a decent delivery service, they could probably make a lot of money!

how about a week from Washington to Oregon,it was only a few hour drive,I have go media mail from there in 1 day but priority takes a week

I believe the USPS is constitutionally mandated so will never go away. Thankfully I have never had problems (knock on wood).

Destinations more than 500 miles often arrive faster than closer destinations since they get put on a plane, while things relatively "next door" can and often do take longer as they are going from sorting annex to sorting annex on trucks until it gets there.

Neps in priority boxes arrive to me in MN in two days from either coast but stuff from Colorado and Texas always take 4 days.

I do hope they don't cancel the postal service cos I need my job until I pay off my CCard fully before I take another stab at freelancing! LOL

I was the lucky winner of Jbradt's generous giveaway and we decided to ship on wednesday instead of the planned monday. So the shipping and packaging said that my package was to arrive on friday. Along comes friday and no package comes, I check the track and confirm later and it said they attempted to deliver at 6:15 pm and they left a note. The funny thing is that, I WAS THERE at that time and there was no usps truck. So the next day arrives and I call the ask usps number, they tell me to call the local office so I do, no answer, I call five more times, no answer. I eventually just walk over to the office which is like two miles away. When I get there they tell me my package is on the truck and they tell me to go to the address where it is being shipped. I walk two miles back and when I am a block away I happen to see my local usps guy, We are friends and he is a nice guy. I ask him when I should get my package and he says they arent delivering to my address and that he remembers seeing my package at the usps place. He then calls them to tell them where my package is and he tells me to go back to pick it up. Two more miles of walking and I finally get my package. I walk another two miles home to discover they completely ignored the "this side up" signs that jbradt put on the package so I find my new heli's roots snapped off...

They held my N. burkei at the post office for two weeks before telling me it had arrived. The growing tip was dead, but it has rebounded. In your face, USPS!

Heli thats so sad to hear! :.(

My female fusca X miranda took 5 days to travel ONLY 100 miles from Orange county and when it got here the plant looked horrible. The plant was grown in outside conditions and should have adapted to my greenhouse easily...but the once waxy leaves were now floppy after the long shipping :mad: .

5 days for 100 miles? It takes me 2 hours to drive that distance!

some I wonder if it is all because they are subcontracting FedEX to do the transportation between major hubs that things get mis sent on purpose to make the service look bad so the subcontractors main business can look good...

similar thing happened with the same package I was talking about before. It went from NY to Massachusetts then back to NY. Not as weird as yours but still...

I think Mach just wanted to check out the S. minor 'Okee Giant' I had shipped out so he requested it pass through :p (He has mad power over people over there I hear!! heh)

lol. actually I do want to look at that one :p

minors have not really liked my conditions so far. wondering if they don't like 50 F temps at night most nights of the year....

Your wish is my command (see, there is the Mach power thing!) Here is the plant as received... A bit brown in the lid, but it took the trip just fine.
Andrew

IMG_9319.jpg

Your wish is my command (see, there is the Mach power thing!) Here is the plant as received... A bit brown in the lid, but it took the trip just fine.
Andrew

IMG_9319.jpg

And it is still standing! Still getting a kick out of it going from Arizona to Oregon via Hawaii. I will post pictures of it next summer. Thank you Andrew.

last week we got a letter at the office:

John Smith
PO Box 748
Something Wolf Kansas 78342

our address is:
The Herald News
PO Box 639
Wolf Point Montana 59201

and yah wonder why they are broke.....nothing other than the word Wolf was similar in the address....

Back