What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire Man's Plants

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
>.> You're in Florida doing Howl-O-Scream? Whatcha doin there? :)

>.> You're in Florida doing Howl-O-Scream? Whatcha doin there? :)

Nope, Williamsburg, VA. Tomorrow I'm working Bitten, which means I'm a vampire. I get to do a bit of everything this year unless I get promoted again.

I'll try to get pics of the plants tomorrow, but there's no guarantee since I probably won't get back until 11:00 PM.

Lol carn did u think Florida had the only one
Unless of course you were being sarcastic, in which case, so was I

More pics!

My Sarracenia hybrid's latest leaf since I moved it down to Newport News. It's getting less light, therefor it looks like this.

Lower Light by Wire Man, on Flickr

And my little blue pot.

Late August by Wire Man, on Flickr

And now for some indoor plants.

I set up a small terrarium to grow Nepenthes, Drosera, and Utrics in. I think they like it.
Here's N. maxima "Lake Poso" unfolding a new leaf.

N. maxima "Lake Poso" by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. smilesii inflating a new pitcher.

Inflating by Wire Man, on Flickr

The new leaves.

Red by Wire Man, on Flickr

U. graminifolia from mass, not dead. In fact, it's sending up a flower. Either it is or U. gibba is.

U. graminifolia by Wire Man, on Flickr

A new leaf on my largest purp seedling.

Q9283012 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Most of the plant.

Q9283014 by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. x ventrata seems to like this window more, and is making new pitchers after months of nothing.

Finally by Wire Man, on Flickr

More purp seedlings, plus some hybrids.

Seedlings. by Wire Man, on Flickr

And an out-of-focus shot of the N. smilesii basals.

Basals by Wire Man, on Flickr

Today was full of excellence. I was called in to get fitted for an actual costume for Howl-O-Scream, and the post office finally realized that this had arrived.

Nepenthes burkei!!!! That you, jurow! I can finally stop drooling now, for a bit.

Nepenthes burkei, small by Wire Man, on Flickr

Nepenthes burkei by Wire Man, on Flickr

This poor thing had been sitting at the postoffice for a week without any notification of its arrival. Thankfully it's still alive.
Nepenthes smilesii popped open a new pitcher on Sunday, a bit smaller than the previous one. That's expected with being moved.

And we have D. burmannii seed germination! They're so tiny! The N. burkei is starting to grow after the traumatic post office experience. N. smilesii will be making its journey to Meadowview tonight, where it should thrive.

Outstanding, dude! Congrats!

Thanks! I can see the new leaf peeling out now. I acquired some cuttings of a monsterous Nep that was donated to Meadowview very recently. I think it's a N. x mixta. There are 2 of them, each have 3-4 vines that are 6 feet long each! I'm just asking for trouble....

Last edited:
very nice plants, love the diversity

Great shots, Wire Man. Everything looks like it's doing really well!

What can I say, I like variety. I'll have some pygmy dews popping up soon, too.

Thanks! Hopefully they don't go into shock from being moved out of my apartment of pest extermination. The N. burkei has rebounded so nicely!

Nice neps. That ventrata looks to be gettin plenty o' light

Thanks! The ventrata is actually developing spots. What's funny is that it's getting less light in my apartment window than it did in my bedroom window in Fredericksburg, but it pitchered down here... Strange plants.

I don't know how I forgot these! They're showing a lot of potential. S. purpurea seedlings from a bog in Caroline County, VA which was sprayed with herbicide in the spring. This population may disappear in the near future, which is a shame since they're gorgeous!

Showing Promise by Wire Man, on Flickr

Tiny Pitchers by Wire Man, on Flickr

Seedling purpurea by Wire Man, on Flickr

The veins in this seedling have darkened to the point that they're nearly black! Hopefully some of the siblings show the same trait.

That S. Purp is insanely gorgeous.. I only have one with similar veining, but not nearly as dark.

SO PRETTY. :drool:

They've darkened even more since I took this photo. Some of the other seedlings have a body that is almost pure red and a normal hood. I'm hoping that more of the "black veined" traits show up as more seedlings mature. I might be able to register them as a cultivar. The hoods are getting even more dramatic as the get larger.

I am totally looking forward to seeing more pictures of them as they grow. I have a thing for bright colors and dark veining. :D

Nice shots! They don't even look like seedlings.

These are definitely the plants for you then, Croft. They're definitely seedlings. You can see the immature leaves of the others around the miniature adult leaves, which are maybe an inch long.

Back