What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire Man's Plants

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
It's a weird burb. The petioles don't clasp, but lay flat. The leaves are also really round for burbidgeae. Possible hybrid?
I'll have to edit the back of the label then….

On the downside, the edwardsiana is dead. It rotted from the inside, despite thorough fungicide treatment.

I honestly think its pure burbidgeae, I remember seeing the leaves and it didnt look much different from a typical, plus it isnt peltate which rules out rajah.

The leaves are still small. Either way, it's the most unusual burbidgeae I've ever seen.

Could be an introgression with fusca, especially if the leaves are more rounded off than they should be. Seems to be heavy on the burbidgea side though, maybe burbidgea x (burbidgea x fusca).

Last edited:
If the petiole are truly canaliculate instead of petiolate, you've got a fusca hybrid.

That's a possibility. Only time will truly tell. It's only 5 inches wide right now. It's certainly different from anything else I've ever seen. It's finally settled in and started growing again! The new leaf is unfurling really fast and in a bizarre manner.

If the petiole are truly canaliculate instead of petiolate, you've got a fusca hybrid.

I'll have to get a photo of the petioles. They're weird. The best way to describe them is winged.

Yes, please take photos of all of them. Sometimes burbidgeae will keep canaliculate petioles on the top few leaves, only for the petioles of the older leaves to fold and become the typical petiolate shape as they age.

It might take a while. I'm having to upload everything 5 photos at a time so I don't crash Flickr.

And now for some Sarracenia

S. rubra gulfensis x leucophylla

S. rubra ssp. gulfensis x leucophylla by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. 'Bog Witch'

S. 'Bog Witch' by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. 'Bog Witch by Wire Man, on Flickr

A NOID that Mason picked up. We're tossing around some name ideas for it.

Sarracenia Hybrid by Wire Man, on Flickr

Sarracenia Hybrid by Wire Man, on Flickr

These three purps and the following flava are seed grown from material collected from private property on the Green Swamp.

Solid red with ruffles.

S. purpurea Green Swamp, NC by Wire Man, on Flickr

Heavily veined

S. purpurea Green Swamp, NC by Wire Man, on Flickr

This one I'm calling 'Orange Goblin." Props to anyone who gets where the name comes from.

S. purpurea "Orange Goblin", Green Swamp, NC by Wire Man, on Flickr

And the flava.

S. flava Green Swamp, NC by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. rosea 'Fat Chance'

S. rosea 'Fat Chance' by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. rosea 'Fat Chance' by Wire Man, on Flickr

Colorful little seedling.

Sarracenia seedling by Wire Man, on Flickr

Typical color for dormant Virginia purps.

S. purpurea Reedy Creek Bog, Caroline County, VA by Wire Man, on Flickr

jonesii

S. jonesii Greeneville Co, SC by Wire Man, on Flickr

'The Brute' sib.

S. 'The Brute' sibling by Wire Man, on Flickr

Mason's accidental creation.

S. alata x 'Hummer's Hammerhead' by Wire Man, on Flickr

x readii Yellow Creek #2

S. x readii Yellow Creek #2 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Dionaea Carpet by Wire Man, on Flickr

Nice Graham!!

Thanks, Heather!

And now for the rest.

My purple interior veitchii

N. veitchii by Wire Man, on Flickr

My precious lavicola

Nepenthes lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. 'Caladium'

N. 'Caladium' by Wire Man, on Flickr

Name too long to type again. Really dark for its size.

N. eymae (b) x (jacquelinea x izumiae) by Wire Man, on Flickr

An interesting flytrap seedling.

D. 'Big Mouth' Progeny by Wire Man, on Flickr

Do you think I have enough?

S. minor Francis Marion, SC by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. 'Spatter Pattern' x 'Lamentations' by Wire Man, on Flickr

Closeups of the leaves on my oddball burb.

N. burbidgeae Mt. Kinabalu by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. burbidgeae Mt. Kinabalu by Wire Man, on Flickr

And the entire lavicola plant.

N. lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

That lavicola is great!

And regarding the burbidgeae, the petioles are atypical. I'm almost certain you have a hybrid, probably with fusca.

N. 'Caladium' is my biggest Nep right now. 12" leaf span. Also has the largest pitchers so far.

I know! It's such a beast for a dwarf species. The upper pitchers could eat the lowers for breakfast, though. They're 3x as tall.

Awesome! Natural hybrids are cool. That also probably means it's going to get very big very fast.

loving your lavicola,

Around what temperatures do you get in the tank? You seem to be able to grow a wide range of intermediate and highland Nepenthes very well.

Also, how is the N. x 'Dormouse' doing? It's one of my favorite hybrids and one I don't see often. I've wanted to get one for a while now, but the originator of the cross sold all of them.

Jimmy, now you can see why it's my favorite Nepenthes.

It gets down to 60 at night. I added an air stone this week and it's getting a little cooler and much more humid. Yay stability!

The Dormouse has made a basal offshoot, but it killed off an emerging shoot on the vine. Lucky for you, I just took a cutting of it last week. I'm hoping another node will activate soon. It's such a cool little hybrid!

PM'd you about the N. x 'Dormouse' cutting.

I love your Nepenthes lavicola. What are the dimensions of the pot you are using for it? And did you have two plants originally or did you divide it into two?

Back