Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane proofing my bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurricane proofing my bog?

Since the eye of Hurricane Irene is going to be directly over us. (South Jersey) I have a 55gallon bog in my backyard and we have been getting a good amount of rain pretty much every week, it is pretty saturated already. The hurricane is supposed to be bringing about a foot of rain and heavy winds. Should I prepare my bog? Like drilling extra holes in the plastic or just putting a tarp over it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just put a big tarp over it..make sure the edges of the tarp are outside of the bog edges, (so the water doesnt run off the tarp and into the bog) and weigh down the edges of the tarp heavily with stones/bricks/ etc..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. ALOT of bricks.. Like.. cinderblocks.. Might be a good idea to tie the tarp to them too. Run rope through the grommets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been paying attention, but how strong of a hurricane are we talking? I grew up in south Florida, so as a veteran of far too many hurricanes, cinder blocks and bricks are projectiles. If you're going to tarp it, I'd recommend driving rebar stakes into the ground to tie it off. You may also want to overlap two tarps to make a flap so that the tarp can't get sucked off the bog. Tornadoes man...

Keep us posted, we'll be keeping you in our thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Physalaemus View Post
    I haven't been paying attention, but how strong of a hurricane are we talking? I grew up in south Florida, so as a veteran of far too many hurricanes, cinder blocks and bricks are projectiles. If you're going to tarp it, I'd recommend driving rebar stakes into the ground to tie it off. You may also want to overlap two tarps to make a flap so that the tarp can't get sucked off the bog. Tornadoes man...

Keep us posted, we'll be keeping you in our thoughts.
    Depening on where you live on the East coast, you could see winds between 40 to 80mph and potentially a LOT of rain..(possibly winds up to 100mph, but I doubt that).. I doubt the wind will be strong enough to turn bricks or cinder blocks into projectiles! I wouldnt worry about that..but the winds have the potential to be very damaging, in terms of trees down and power knocked out..also lots of flooding possible..she's a big one, especially for these parts..

Personally I will be just out her range..thankful for that!..but I have a lot of family and friends in the Southerrn Tier of NY who are in the zone..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably going to be pulling my plants out of the bog garden (they're in individual pots for this purpose) and sheltering them in either the garage or under the porch.

I'd drive some metal stakes into the tarp to secure it. Drilling extra holes will be too much work, and not enough time to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like one of biggest dangers from Irene could be the storm surge, causing massive flooding:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

"Irene's storm surge may flood New York City's subway system"
    wow..
    If I lived right on the coast, I would be boarding up the house and moving inland right now..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting analysis Scotty

I dunno what to do. I am about a half mile north of Sunrise Highway (everybody south of Sunrise, 425,000 people, is to prepare for evacuation to higherground if the storms course stays as predicted).

And what to do with the plants is a whole nother thing to figure out...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast