Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48" T5 + MH fixture Odyssea --comments and feedback

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for replies guys. Yes...the tank is pretty deep Joe. Its 36" deep. The plant are atleast 24" away from the lights.

Thanks for the advice Drew, Brie and Jonathan. I realize what you guys mean now... by taking the water out at that size of a tank, I'll probably cook everything.

So here are the options then guys...what do u think? upgrade to a 8 tube T5 : double current light or get one each of those 150 W MH?

Joe...I also can't do too many lights on side as I keep the panels open for air to escape...more lights on side, more heat gets trapped.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    For your terrarium though, I think you're already pretty well covered with that big T5 you've got; if you need more light at lower levels in the tank, why not get a pair of T12 shoplights and put them on the sides of the tank? It's not like you need the light to travel far - deep is that tank anyways, 18"? HOT5s are safer at closer ranges than HID lights, but still kind of overkill if you're able to get your plants right up next to the tubes.

~Joe
    Side lighting is what many people end up doing. Cheap and effective.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! I guess I will try another idea which I kind of played around at the beginning of summer, use the CFL clamp fixtures and throw in a 60 watt daylight CFL to face inside the tank from the side. I couldn't test it for too long as it was summer and all the lights raised the heat too much. I guess now that temps are starting to go down a bit, maybe I should try that first. The only issue is that the clamp fixture is 20$ and the bulb is 15$. Thats 35$ on its own = quite a bit of money if I don't end up using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Vraev you can usually find the clamp lights for reptiles on kijiji or craigslist for $5-$10 used. That's where I've always got mine from.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clamp lights can be found at pretty much any home improvement store as well for less than 10 bucks.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea...I got the first clamp light at Canadian tire..19$. I guess I should check kijiji. I have always been a bit skeptical about ordering electrical equipment from these places,,, just in case something is wrong with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12