Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fungus Gnats and LFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fungus Gnats and LFS

The gnats are back =/

I've searched what I could and I've read that fungus gnats don't like fresh live sphagnum as a breeding ground, but what about dried LFS?

I'd gotten rid of an infestation about a month ago by repotting all of my utrics from peat:sand to dried/live LFS. My trays have Mosquito Dunks in them but my utrics don't actually sit in water, they're misted several times a day. I've also top-dressed any pots with a peat-based mix. There are only a few gnats at the moment but I want to nip this in the bud.

So do fungus gnats breed in moist dead LFS?
    Grow to learn, learn to grow.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortuantely form what I've read and experienced they dried LFS once it's wet. I don't know much about utrics..but for pings and dews I top dress with a thin layer of sand, not peat, and that helps a lot.
    I got into cps because someone recommended dews and pings to help control the fungus gnats among my orchids.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh, it's as i feared then. And yeah, any pots with peat-based mixes are top-dressed with something non-organic like turface, gravel, or sand. I hope live LFS really is inhospitable to these freakin gnats.

While my adult pings and dews sure like them as treats, I've got seedlings to worry about. I also just hate having fungus gnats in my room.
    Grow to learn, learn to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a capensis as a sort of feather duster to clean up the fungus gnats among some purp seedlings. It works pretty well.