What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs that i can grow

Hey guys. Actually, as you already know or not, i live in Brazil. The temperature here is really warm or hot and i wanted to know which carnivorous plants adapt to the Brazil weather. I wanted CPs that dont hibernate like my VFT does. One is enough haha.

Thanks, Fieldz.

Nepenthes if the humidity is high, is it?

Yea, its medium/High i guess.

Which part of Brasil do you live in? You should be able to grow either highland or lowland Nepenthes like no other. You should also be able to grow Cephalotus and a boat load of tropical Drosera and terrestrial Utricularia

Which part of Brasil do you live in? You should be able to grow either highland or lowland Nepenthes like no other. You should also be able to grow Cephalotus and a boat load of tropical Drosera and terrestrial Utricularia

He lives in Rio

Then lowlanders should be pretty easy.

As far as plants you can grow there go...you have alot of options...Lowland nepenthes, bybilis, tropical Drosera, Mexican pinguicula,...all of these can be grown where you live.

You could prolly grow N. bicalcarata outside in a BIG pot... That would truly be epic

Perfect. Might think about it and, MAYBE, i will have a shelf of plants soon :D

Yep, as mentioned above, you have plenty of options down in your area. You can grow species right in your backyard that people up here spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on to grow inside! Temperate CPs that require dormancy periods might be out unless you have some sort of high-tech way to replicate that indoors, but there are still plenty of tropical species that would thrive in your climate.

Yea, i want only those which dont need to hibernate. Hibernating sucks to me and sadly my VFT needs it. 3 Months in a fride without the sun...

Lowland nepenthes,
bybilis,
tropical Drosera,
Mexican pinguicula
N. bicalcarata
droseras!
Nepenthes if the humidity is high
Cephalotus and a boat load of tropical Drosera and terrestrial Utricularia

Out of these, which ones DONT need to hibernate?

You have to grow N. bicalcarata and northiana! Your climate is too perfect!

South American drosera, heliamphora

Yea, i want only those which dont need to hibernate. Hibernating sucks to me and sadly my VFT needs it. 3 Months in a fride without the sun...

Lowland nepenthes,
bybilis,
tropical Drosera,
Mexican pinguicula
N. bicalcarata
droseras!
Nepenthes if the humidity is high
Cephalotus and a boat load of tropical Drosera and terrestrial Utricularia

Out of these, which ones DONT need to hibernate?

None of those need to hibernate.

WOW GUYS THATS AMAZING! Guess what? I think i am lucky to live here in Brazil.

Thanks all, thats enough plants for me! :D

Mexican pings go through dormancy period although it isn't so much the low temperatures as it is less water I believe (don't quote me on that), corresponding with the dry season of Mexico. And its not a typical dormancy as they just turn more into a succulent but still keep foliage. So far I haven't given mine any specific conditions but I have noticed the different growth in my P. moctezumae from last year to this past spring where it exploded in growth.

Byblis can die off in winter months but given your conditions I highly doubt it would. In my experience it can last a bit longer in a terrarium setting (higher temps, humidity). They flower very easily so collecting seed wouldn't be out of the question either.

Everything else is purely a "tropical" plant and should be fine in such conditions year round.

Good luck in your growing. Rio sounds like a great place for plants.

Haha thanks again for all. Thats enough for me, i dont need more than that :D

Fieldz

*If there is any moderator here you can close the post please.

Back