Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question of morals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the political correctness police have been here..the other thread wasnt just locked, but it was deleted outright! thats typical..as long as you "think the right way" you can say anything you like..but opposing viewpoints will be (quite literally) deleted from existence..*sigh*..so much for tolerance.

I had composed a long reply to go into the other thread..since its now gone, I will post it here..since my opinion generally agrees with the "right way of thinking" it will probably be allowed to stay..here is what I wanted to say in the other thread:

Im a Christian..and I am totally 100% in favor of Gay marriage..
    not being in favor of it is, IMO, very unchristian..
    here is how I see it:

In order for something to be a sin, EVERYone should able to commit it right?
    (not counting young children, or people of impaired intelligence..but "normal" people who understand the concept of right and wrong..)

So lets take some classic sins:

wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, gluttony, murder, adultery, etc..everyone agrees those are sins.

I am *capable* of committing ANY of those sins..it is physically possible that I can commit any those sins..
    the trick is overcoming temptation and NOT sinning..but technically any person, male or female, is *capable* of commiting any of those sins..that is what makes them sins!
    they are a CHOICE..sins are a choice..we can choose to commit them, or choose not to commit them.

But homosexually?? am I *capable* of committing the "sin" of homosexually?
    actually no, I am not..its impossible..I could commit a "homosexual act"..but that is not the same thing as "being gay"..So why am I incapable of "choosing to be gay?"
    its simple.. because I was born "not gay"..

by a quirk of my development in the womb, I was "born straight"..I cant do anything about it, its just who I am..I am utterly incapable of "choosing to be gay"..So..how can being gay possibly be a sin??
    It cant..its impossible..how can there be a sin some people can commit, but others are incapable of commiting? it cant happen..that is why homosexuality is not a sin..its utterly ridiculous that people actually think people "choose to be gay"..just ask any gay person who has ever lived if its a "lifestyle choice" or if they were gay from birth..there is no question people are born gay..

So for those two reasons:
    1. I cant commit the sin of "choosing to be gay"
    2. it's utterly obvious gay people are born gay.

The only conclusion is "God created gay people"..therefore there is no way he can be "against them"..
    just like He couldnt be against any race, or people with blue eyes, or red heads..

So why do some people think the Bible "proves" that being gay is a sin?
    I cant fathom why they even care..
    the only thing I can think of to explain it is..its the only thing they have to "justify" their personal bigotry..

People misinterpret the bible all the time to uphold bigotry..in the 1960's when school integration was taking place in the south, people had protest signs "proving" that God didn't want black children to be in the same classrooms with their white children..what was the proof? yep..bible verses.."separation of the tribes" or something like that..its in the bible! this is the EXACT same thing..

First black people were a subclass with less rights..
    Then women couldnt vote..
    in many states it was illegal for a white person to marry a black person up into the 1960's!!
    crazy..
    this current oppression against gay marriage is the last great gasp of organized bigotry in America..it too will soon fall, as it should...

Thats my opinion..stated as a Christian and a Republican!
    there are a lot more of us than you think..

thanks,
    Scot

(and no, my post is not intended to be an "entry" in this contest! Im against the blatant intolerance and hypocrisy shown by the deletion of the other thread, "intolerance in the name of tolerance".."you MUST respect ALL opinions and choices! (except for the opinions of White Republican Christians..they are evil..)"..which is so typical from the left these days..so I dont want to be a part of the giveaway.)

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    I dont support your view, but commend you on having a good idea rather than the same ole giveaways everyone does. I generally hold dashman's view. I don't condemn, but I will never condone the lgbt commmunity. I feel that isn't my job to do here in this world. Live and let live I say. I'm a reformed homophobe. Good luck to all.
    I never said I condone. Anyways. this is a giveaway and not a politcal thread so i will reply no further.

Again, good idea Thez. And very generous of you.

EDIT: OOOPS. I meant to say I never said I DON'T condone. Major error! Sorry.
    Last edited by dashman; 09-03-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot,
    I don't think the removal of the last thread was so much about politcal correctness and intolerance to opposing views (although I would call it hateful and hate should never be tolerated, as the quote in my earlier post points out, by allowing these intolerant views, children learn it, and so the cycle of hate never ends. There's a fine line between disagreeing responsibly and blindly opposing)...I think it was removed partly so it didn't overtake THIS thread, which it was, and because of the poor presentation, it was quickly escalating to a flamewar, so it was removed before people could get their pitchforks.

Just sayin'

But even now, people are taking their differing opinions into this trade thread that's of a decided opinion, because apparently, their parents never taught them "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all"

Anyway...
    Much love to the great lady Zu for doing this<3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really wishing that people would keep their issues out of this thread. This is not the place to sound off, and doing so in this manner is honestly disrespectful and has nothing to do with the giveaway.
    Being her plants to give away, Zu is allowed to set her own criteria.
    I'm sorry that the other thread was deleted, but the reactions posted here are unnecessary. You are actively undermining the safe-space this thread provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my edited post above. I made a major typo...

And yes, I agree. Not the place to state views. But since it seems to be so controversial these days, shouldn't be unexpected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    Scot,
    I don't think the removal of the last thread was so much about politcal correctness and intolerance to opposing views (although I would call it hateful and hate should never be tolerated, as the quote in my earlier post points out, by allowing these intolerant views, children learn it, and so the cycle of hate never ends. There's a fine line between disagreeing responsibly and blindly opposing)..
    thats the interesting thing..calling it "hate"..
    I read the entire thread just before it was deleted..I was actually typing my replay *as* it was deleted, then when I went to post, it was gone..so I didn't miss a thing in that thread..there was no "hate speech" in it..none..it was simply a Christian attempting to explain his views..no hate, no flame war..but STILL it was deleted, because many people will automatically assume ANY opposing viewpoint from "the right way of thinking" must automatically be "hate" when it isnt..and now, with the thread conveniently deleted, the myth of the "hate speech that had to be destroyed because it was SO hateful that it might harm our children" is allowed to persist..and that whole premise is simply an outright lie..
    and now its turned into the teaching of an outright lie, and the teaching of hatred and intolerance toward others, which is actually more evil than the supposed "hate"..which didn't actually exist in this case. political correctness is the greatest evil of our time IMO..it suppresses free thought and polite debate, by automatically shutting down any opposing viewpoints simply by labeling it "hate"..personally, I consider that hateful, bigoted, and hypocritical..the exact thing the political correctness police *claim* to be against..they are in fact the worst offenders..

and..you cant create a thread like this and NOT expect controversy! its kind of like saying "explain how you oppose abortion, or support the "right to choose"..but keep politics and religion out of it!"

and..if the other thread hadnt been deleted, this thread would have avoided this kind of controversy, because the other thread would have been the outlet for this discussion..so, whoever deleted the other thread, you are the one that "spoiled" this thread..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never said anything about hate. Simply said it is not my job to judge others. It is those who cannot have a civil discussion about differences without taking offense that instill hatred into soceity for they cannot realize that there can be more than one "right" answer. Truth is, there is a right answer for everyone, mine is located in the bible. Yours might be somewhere else. We live in a soceity that condemns other peoples views because they differ from their own. This is exemplified in your response saying I preach hate. I do not, nor did I wish to enter your contest. You have inspired me to do my giveaway soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Thanks to all the supporters <3

lance: then go be friends with them They're just like you, in exactly every way. Who you choose to date/marry in the end is down to who you think has the best moral character and it doesn't matter if your partner is a boy or girl. Here's what the ancient Greek, Plato, had to say about that: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html

Scotty: Because you are Christian-ing all over a civil rights support thread, that is someone other than yours' fault? You made the choice to post here.

dsrtfox: From the sounds of it, you're not reformed, nor are you entering in the contest. Please don't just post hate here.

I think I'll close this thread off end of Monday when I go to bed (9pm or 10pm PST) 5th Sept and tell you guys who got the closest and won.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All posts that were not directly related to the giveaway thread have been moved here.

Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    and..if the other thread hadnt been deleted, this thread would have avoided this kind of controversy, because the other thread would have been the outlet for this discussion..so, whoever deleted the other thread, you are the one that "spoiled" this thread..
    This is incorrect. When a thread is moved or deleted by a member of the moderating team that doesn't mean people should feel free to post in other threads only slightly related to the topic.

I am moving this thread back into the general forum but it will remain locked. Terraforums has members from all walks of life and from all over the world and the moderators facilitate this forum to be an inclusive and supportive community. What needs to be clarified is the distinction between the two threads. For starters, the other thread is a give away with a particular criteria. The other parallel is that thread is supporting a particular population whereas this one, regardless of intent, is condemning in nature (even if void of malicious motivation); and that is where the line is drawn.

If anyone has concerns about the moral fiber of a topic/poster then the best response in this forum would be to not participate and report it if it violates site rules. The moderating team is all for healthy debate but topics generated under the premise of discussing how a population's lifestyle is "wrong" will not be tolerated.

Further questions or concerns about this decision can be sent to me via private message.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123