User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 13

Thread: All about Algae

  1. #1
    LeafKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    All about Algae

    This thread shall be dedicated to algae. I hope to compile all the data I can about algae including its many appearances,look spikes, cause and effects, preventions and cautions.

    Wikipedia Excerpt
    Algae are a large and diverse group of simple, typically autotrophic organisms, ranging from unicellular to multicellular forms, such as the giant kelps that grow to 65 meters in length. They are photosynthetic like plants, and "simple" because their tissues are not organized into the many distinct organs found in land plants. The largest and most complex marine forms are called seaweeds.

    Where does algae grow?
    -Anywhere that has nutrients, is constantly wet, and is exposed to sunlight.
    What does algae do?
    - It mostly serves as food for others, as it converts nutrients in the enviorment into a more availabe source. It also generates a good amount of oxygen.
    How does algae spread?
    - Its generally spread through direct contact with algae containing water, from spores that float around in the air, and sometimes lichen.
    How do I know if I have algae?
    -Look for soil or mix that turns slightly green. If its algae it should usually have a blob-like form (but only during an infestation) and should not look like moss or fungus. In fully aquatic enviorments, the water is obviously turned green, also look for algae growing on the rocks and glass. Underwater, it forms thinks masses of the stuff.
    Is algae bad?
    -Generally for carnivorous plants, algae helps breakdown soil which only hurts your plants, but its quite beneficial for so many other plants.
    How can I prevent algae?
    -In most cases, you can avoid that by allowing your water trays to dry out between waterings. For germinating, you can also litterally mirco the media before applying seeds, then getting them in an nice tight bag or covering. But, that process will only slow the development of the algae. In all cases that have wet soil, there is usually no stopping it.
    Last edited by LeafKirby; 09-08-2011 at 04:35 PM.

  2. #2
    i dont do pots. amphirion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, US
    Posts
    3,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ultimately, i would argue, yes....the bi-products that algae creates may be used by other organisms such as bryophytes which would break down the media, resulting in the decline of your plants....however, for other plants, this would be beneficial, just not to CPs.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

  3. #3
    LeafKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    ultimately, i would argue, yes....the bi-products that algae creates may be used by other organisms such as bryophytes which would break down the media, resulting in the decline of your plants....however, for other plants, this would be beneficial, just not to CPs.
    Thanks for the info.

  4. #4
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never considered algae to even be an issue when growing CP's..maybe for actual aquatics, like Utrics, but nothing else..For VFT's and Sarrs, using the tray method, you can get algae growth in the trays, but that is easy to control..just dump and rinse the trays once in awhile..I have never seen any real algae growth on the surface of a pot, on the media, its too dry..and algae wont grow IN the pot..its too dark..

    So I see algae concerns with CP's to be pretty much a non-issue..(except for Utrics and Aldrovanda of course, plants that actually grow IN water)..but for anything else, simply not a problem..

    if you actually get algae growth on the surface of a VFT or Sarr pot, you are probably keeping it WAY too wet..

    If we want to talk about aquariums..thats a whole different matter!

    Scot

  5. #5
    LeafKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    I have never considered algae to even be an issue when growing CP's..maybe for actual aquatics, like Utrics, but nothing else..For VFT's and Sarrs, using the tray method, you can get algae growth in the trays, but that is easy to control..just dump and rinse the trays once in awhile..I have never seen any real algae growth on the surface of a pot, on the media, its too dry..and algae wont grow IN the pot..its too dark..

    So I see algae concerns with CP's to be pretty much a non-issue..(except for Utrics and Aldrovanda of course, plants that actually grow IN water)..but for anything else, simply not a problem..

    if you actually get algae growth on the surface of a VFT or Sarr pot, you are probably keeping it WAY too wet..

    If we want to talk about aquariums..thats a whole different matter!

    Scot
    Well first I could also add that is usually not a problem, but the algae in my Genlisea Aurea pot is causing so problems. I also heard that it damages seedlings.

  6. #6
    cpsammich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also I'm pretty sure giant kelp isn't algea, the're just in the same kingdom (protista)

  7. #7
    LeafKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsammich View Post
    also I'm pretty sure giant kelp isn't algea, the're just in the same kingdom (protista)

  8. #8
    Physalaemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelp is a brown algae, formerly Phaeophyta. The kingdom Protista doesn't exist anymore. All of the higher order taxonomy (Kingdom/Phylum level) was revamped in the last decade. A larger classification, domain, was added as well. Take that Linnaeus!

    Here's a link to the tree of life project's current phylogeny for eukaryotes (things with a nucleus).
    http://tolweb.org/Eukaryotes/3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •