User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New additions from the local CP Nursery open house...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay, another Drosophyllum grower! What type of soil is it grown in? It looks like it's mostly peat?

The sarrs are beautiful! I wish I could have made it up there for the open house, but other things (like calculus exams) got in the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Yay, another Drosophyllum grower! What type of soil is it grown in? It looks like it's mostly peat?

The sarrs are beautiful! I wish I could have made it up there for the open house, but other things (like calculus exams) got in the way.
    Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays, in peat pots. I really like the peat pot idea so I can just plant it and not worry about it. Now im contemplating what I should grow it in, I see em in all sorts of pots. I have a nice big pretty glazed ceramic pot thats not being used right now... or maybe I should go buy a cheap terracotta one. Decisions decisions. heh.

And yeah, its a bit of a hike from San Fran up to oregon. hehe. Understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays
    lol on their website #3 on how to care for your Drosophyllym seedling specifically says "Do NOT set your pot in water"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe it was in water because it was 100f

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice haul!! Beautiful colors....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays, in peat pots. I really like the peat pot idea so I can just plant it and not worry about it. Now im contemplating what I should grow it in, I see em in all sorts of pots. I have a nice big pretty glazed ceramic pot thats not being used right now... or maybe I should go buy a cheap terracotta one. Decisions decisions. heh.

And yeah, its a bit of a hike from San Fran up to oregon. hehe. Understandable.
    Ooh, I would definitely recommend getting a terracotta one. A glazed one would keep in moisture, which could lead to root rot especially since your climate is a bit damper than down here and its native habitat. I have mine growing in a tall 10" pot, which seemed like the best size since they like to send their roots deep. When I first bought mine, it was also sitting in a tray of water in a peat pot (though the soil was mostly sand) - when I brought it home and transplanted it into its new, much drier home in the bright sunlight, I was afraid the plant was going to go into shock. But the changes didn't faze it at all. In fact, in the couple months I've had mine, it's at least doubled in size.

When I was transplanting it, I ripped a bunch of holes in the peat pot and placed it in a mixture of equal parts horticultural sand, perlite, vermiculite, and black volcanic rock, with a couple of handfuls of peat and sphagnum moss. I water the plant once a week, and after a few days the soil feels completely dry at least as far down as I can stick my finger. The dry soil doesn't bother the plant since it gets water every night from fog and dew (I think it would do the same in your climate as well). Apparently when they are in fact not getting enough water, they will clearly show warning signs by wilting and having leaves die off. But as long as the leaves are green, turgid, and actively growing like they are on my plant, it's getting enough water despite how dry the soil feels.

Here's a short video I just shot to give an idea of my plant's growing conditions, if it would be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LsJmFpzy8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @natalie woah that droso is huge
    lol your dog is funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Ooh, I would definitely recommend getting a terracotta one. A glazed one would keep in moisture, which could lead to root rot especially since your climate is a bit damper than down here and its native habitat. I have mine growing in a tall 10" pot, which seemed like the best size since they like to send their roots deep. When I first bought mine, it was also sitting in a tray of water in a peat pot (though the soil was mostly sand) - when I brought it home and transplanted it into its new, much drier home in the bright sunlight, I was afraid the plant was going to go into shock. But the changes didn't faze it at all. In fact, in the couple months I've had mine, it's at least doubled in size.

When I was transplanting it, I ripped a bunch of holes in the peat pot and placed it in a mixture of equal parts horticultural sand, perlite, vermiculite, and black volcanic rock, with a couple of handfuls of peat and sphagnum moss. I water the plant once a week, and after a few days the soil feels completely dry at least as far down as I can stick my finger. The dry soil doesn't bother the plant since it gets water every night from fog and dew (I think it would do the same in your climate as well). Apparently when they are in fact not getting enough water, they will clearly show warning signs by wilting and having leaves die off. But as long as the leaves are green, turgid, and actively growing like they are on my plant, it's getting enough water despite how dry the soil feels.

Here's a short video I just shot to give an idea of my plant's growing conditions, if it would be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LsJmFpzy8
    Thanks for that Natalie! Very informative. And that Santa Cruz garter was gorgeous! Always been one of my fav garters, next to Valleys, Red Sides, San Frans, and Eastern Blacknecks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12