What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New additions from the local CP Nursery open house...

Brie

Sarracenia freak
I had a budget this time around so was good and didn't splurge TOO bad lol. I was hoping to find certain things that they ended up not having, so I just picked out what I liked from what was there.

"Appalachian Spring", I cant remember what this was a cross of. Rubra x alata maybe? Or Rubra x Oreo?
6134608995_af6d98cc6a_o.jpg

6134609031_99c2883ff5_o.jpg

Has an open pollinated flower.. should be fun to see how the seedlings turn out.
6134609055_69da99c7cd_o.jpg

Flava x Lueco that looks just like a Leah Wilkerson. I picked out the best looking one left, only one that had the pink rim.
6135156782_f78250b84c_o.jpg

6135156824_b095406abd_o.jpg

S. rubra "canebreak"
6135156742_ec8a56dd22_o.jpg

They DID have these though! I was hoping.. Seed grown Drosophyllum! woot!
6135156670_0faf0e403b_o.jpg

And last two, the pings. P. moctezumae x gigantea and a P. "Aphrodite". Crappy photo, they look so much better. lol. The mocte x is HUGE, as big as my open hand.
6134616807_9e03dd041e_o.jpg

I think Appalachin Spring is Jonesii x something...
Wow, it looks so much better than their pictures!

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Aah, oreo x Jonesii. And it's a grex, not the cultivar one. Did a lot of them look like that?

I think Appalachin Spring is Jonesii x something...
Wow, it looks so much better than their pictures!

Yeah, I know its a rubra cross with somethin else, just cant for the life of me remember what. They had the pool they were in labeled, but I didnt write it down. doh. But yeah, its gorgeous! I shoulda taken a pic of inside the pitcher, its amazing looking. Can kinda see in one of the pics.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Aah, oreo x Jonesii. And it's a grex, not the cultivar one. Did a lot of them look like that?[/QUOTE]

link?

love the Appalachian Spring.. can I have it?

Yeah, I know its a rubra cross with somethin else, just cant for the life of me remember what. They had the pool they were in labeled, but I didnt write it down. doh. But yeah, its gorgeous! I shoulda taken a pic of inside the pitcher, its amazing looking. Can kinda see in one of the pics.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Aah, oreo x Jonesii. And it's a grex, not the cultivar one. Did a lot of them look like that?

link?[/QUOTE]

The cultivar is named "Mountain Splendor" it's siblings are Appalachin Spring. And I can't send a link, cause the link is gone.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

You can have a division when it makes one. :-D

I asked first in chat :p

The cultivar is named "Mountain Splendor" it's siblings are Appalachin Spring. And I can't send a link, cause the link is gone.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I asked first in chat :p[/QUOTE]

Weird. Well, the tag they put in it for me said 'appalachian spring', like it was a cultivar.. The ones some of the others had in them just had the lineage written on them, and was hoping to get that tag.. Oh well. But yeah, havent been able to find anything on 'Appalachian Spring' anywhere online...

Yay, another Drosophyllum grower! What type of soil is it grown in? It looks like it's mostly peat? :0o:

The sarrs are beautiful! I wish I could have made it up there for the open house, but other things (like calculus exams) got in the way.

Yay, another Drosophyllum grower! What type of soil is it grown in? It looks like it's mostly peat? :0o:

The sarrs are beautiful! I wish I could have made it up there for the open house, but other things (like calculus exams) got in the way.

Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays, in peat pots. I really like the peat pot idea so I can just plant it and not worry about it. Now im contemplating what I should grow it in, I see em in all sorts of pots. I have a nice big pretty glazed ceramic pot thats not being used right now... or maybe I should go buy a cheap terracotta one. Decisions decisions. heh.

And yeah, its a bit of a hike from San Fran up to oregon. hehe. Understandable.

Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays

lol on their website #3 on how to care for your Drosophyllym seedling specifically says "Do NOT set your pot in water"

maybe it was in water because it was 100f

Nice haul!! Beautiful colors....

Yeah looks that way. I was kind of surprised by how they were being grown. mostly peat, sitting in water trays, in peat pots. I really like the peat pot idea so I can just plant it and not worry about it. Now im contemplating what I should grow it in, I see em in all sorts of pots. I have a nice big pretty glazed ceramic pot thats not being used right now... or maybe I should go buy a cheap terracotta one. Decisions decisions. heh.

And yeah, its a bit of a hike from San Fran up to oregon. hehe. Understandable.

Ooh, I would definitely recommend getting a terracotta one. A glazed one would keep in moisture, which could lead to root rot especially since your climate is a bit damper than down here and its native habitat. I have mine growing in a tall 10" pot, which seemed like the best size since they like to send their roots deep. When I first bought mine, it was also sitting in a tray of water in a peat pot (though the soil was mostly sand) - when I brought it home and transplanted it into its new, much drier home in the bright sunlight, I was afraid the plant was going to go into shock. But the changes didn't faze it at all. In fact, in the couple months I've had mine, it's at least doubled in size.

When I was transplanting it, I ripped a bunch of holes in the peat pot and placed it in a mixture of equal parts horticultural sand, perlite, vermiculite, and black volcanic rock, with a couple of handfuls of peat and sphagnum moss. I water the plant once a week, and after a few days the soil feels completely dry at least as far down as I can stick my finger. The dry soil doesn't bother the plant since it gets water every night from fog and dew (I think it would do the same in your climate as well). Apparently when they are in fact not getting enough water, they will clearly show warning signs by wilting and having leaves die off. But as long as the leaves are green, turgid, and actively growing like they are on my plant, it's getting enough water despite how dry the soil feels.

Here's a short video I just shot to give an idea of my plant's growing conditions, if it would be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LsJmFpzy8

@natalie woah that droso is huge
lol your dog is funny

Ooh, I would definitely recommend getting a terracotta one. A glazed one would keep in moisture, which could lead to root rot especially since your climate is a bit damper than down here and its native habitat. I have mine growing in a tall 10" pot, which seemed like the best size since they like to send their roots deep. When I first bought mine, it was also sitting in a tray of water in a peat pot (though the soil was mostly sand) - when I brought it home and transplanted it into its new, much drier home in the bright sunlight, I was afraid the plant was going to go into shock. But the changes didn't faze it at all. In fact, in the couple months I've had mine, it's at least doubled in size.

When I was transplanting it, I ripped a bunch of holes in the peat pot and placed it in a mixture of equal parts horticultural sand, perlite, vermiculite, and black volcanic rock, with a couple of handfuls of peat and sphagnum moss. I water the plant once a week, and after a few days the soil feels completely dry at least as far down as I can stick my finger. The dry soil doesn't bother the plant since it gets water every night from fog and dew (I think it would do the same in your climate as well). Apparently when they are in fact not getting enough water, they will clearly show warning signs by wilting and having leaves die off. But as long as the leaves are green, turgid, and actively growing like they are on my plant, it's getting enough water despite how dry the soil feels.

Here's a short video I just shot to give an idea of my plant's growing conditions, if it would be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LsJmFpzy8

Thanks for that Natalie! Very informative. :) And that Santa Cruz garter was gorgeous! Always been one of my fav garters, next to Valleys, Red Sides, San Frans, and Eastern Blacknecks.

Back