What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's epic photography failure

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
~Edit~ updated to page 2 & 3. We're past this part now..

Last edited:
Well SOME of the pics look good!

:-P-:

Those look pretty good! close-up photography is an acquired skill..you will get better at it! I think you are off to a great start!

P = Program mode..camera makes all the exposure settings for you, with whatever it "thinks" is best.

Tv = Shutter Priority mode..you pick the shutter speed you want, and the camera automatically gives you the correct aperture setting (f-stop) to make a properly exposed image..

Av = Aperture priority mode. you pick the f-stop you want, and the camera automatically gives you the correct shutter speed to make a properly exposed image..

M = Full manual..you pick everything..the camera will tell you if the exposure is good, via the light meter, but it wont stop you if you are going to over or under expose..the camera makes no decisions on its own in full manual mode, you do it all.

Dont know what the C1 and C2 are..havent heard of those..what is the make and model of the camera?

any of those settings *can* be used with any lens..the setting you choose has more to do with what effect you are going for, and what is most important..

For sports photography for example, you might want to take advantage of Tv - Shutter Priority mode.
you pick the shutter speed..a fast shutter speed like 1/500 or 1/1000 of a second (assuming the light will allow it) and then let the camera pick the f-stop for you..you want to choose the shutter speed, because you want every shot to "freeze" the action..

For close-up/marco photos, I would start out playing with the Av - Aperture priority mode..you pick the f-stop, which controls depth of field, and the camera will automatically give you a shutter speed..play with small and large f-stops (apaerture openings) and watch how the depth of field changes..small f-stop gives you bigger depth of field (more is in focus front to back)..larger f-stop give you less depth of field, less in focus..you usually wont be able to do the full range, because of the lighting..the camera will tell you if you are going to be properly exposed or not..

that should be enough to chew on for now! ;)
any other questions, just ask..

Scot

omg.. This is all so helpful Scotty. Thank you!

And BE was kind enough to help me find a PDF that my computer recognized. She's awesome like that.. SO..

TO BE CONTINUED..

While you need to learn how to use those settings, none of those are where you need to be for the camera to recognize that you are using add-on lenses.

You have to go into setup menu and find "adapter" settings (going by memory on my Canon A570IS) there you will find different options for the various adaptor lenses. (which are encoded)

you really need the manual Travis, hitting the back of the adapter lenses with your camera can do serious damage to your lens drive. Not to mention mess up your new (rolls eyes....formerly in perfect condition) adaptor lenses.

shakes head.... get the manual, read the manual, be one with the manual :p

this camera recognizes lenses? I haven't heard of that before..
why does it need to recognize them?
(im pretty old-school! ;) was a photo major in College, just before digital hit..)
What kind of camera are we talking about?

Scot

these are adaptor lenses that goes on the front of a canon point and shoot (some of the nicer models).... the camera has settings that lets it know you are using them

These were taken with the macro adaptor lens he now has with a 100$ point and shoot A570IS....
graminifolia3.jpg

coin_crop.jpg

(1/4oz golden eagle, about the size of a dime)

Last edited:
huh..interesting..still dont understand why the camera needs to know..can it change macro settings or something, based on the filter? im sure its useful somehow! but thats a new one for me..

An odd aside:
This is the first time I have talked about photography on the internet probably in 6 months..we just now talked about lenses, exposures, etc..I made two posts in this thread in the past hour, talking about photography..So I leave this forum, and go to check on one of my other hobby forums..take a look at the advertisement, this is a screen shot:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/photos/i-rH9twrp/0/XL/i-rH9twrp-XL.jpg

I understand how "targeted advertising" works..but still..its just downright creepy..
its like "The internet is reading my mind!!" :spazz:
and yeah..it sort of is..

Scot

one reason is so it doesnt try to drive its internal lens through the back of the adapter lens which now sits in front of it

DOH!

The other is for focus and exposure compensation, but still need to go to manual mode to take the best pics with them

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Random.... I always wanted a nice german z scale train set for the office LOL....

http://www.marklin.com/start/z.html

drool LOL

I found the manual for him so hopefully he is reading it now and learning all things wonderful about his camera and these new lenses. :)

So after reading some of the manual, and playing a little more.. I realize now why I so badly need a light ring and tripod.
However, at least I'm one step closer to better photos.
Next step.. learn lighting and flash work.

IMG_7264.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7274.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg

find the settings?

and tried to sell you light ring too :p

just takes some practice and yep, a tripod helps big time...

you will have fun learning... then you will want a dslr :p

find the settings?

and tried to sell you light ring too :p

Not yet.. I just read your post. But at least I realized I need to change the focal point to use the new lenses (DUH!). I'll look into the settings once the camera recharges.

I know.. I know.. I didn't know what it was, what it was for, or why I needed it. Didn't take long to learn that one the hard way. :rolleyes:

Mine had several menus.... my adapter lens settings were in the hardware setup menu, not the picture setup menu.... always took some digging to remember where to go, it was an option that was buried pretty deep

actually you are so close to the object with your setup that light rings and the camera mounted flash are pretty useless...., they do great given a little distance, but with the equipment you have you.. will be within a very few inches of the subject (sometimes less then an inch or two)

its a lotta bang for the buck, but it doesnt take long to discover its limits

Here is a link to a manual for the canon powershot g3 manual:

www.instructionsheets.com/mfg/c/canon/canon_powershot_g3.pdf

C1 & C2 are for saving custom settings that you use often - like when you use a certain lens & light combination for macro shots you can save the settings that work best for you so you don't have to reset things every time.

Hope this helps a little - will grope around the net and see what I can find on using your available lens combinations.

go to page 183 of afrodisa's linked manual

reading the bottom of page 183, i get the impression that yours doesnt have dedicated adapter lens setup settings. However, the manual is giving specific instructions on where to set the focal length and in what mode depending on adapter lens being used.

(your camera predates my A570IS by quite a bit, so the menu settings are probably a later feature)

in either case.... it basically tells ya what to do ;-)

Last edited:
He's having problems opening PDFs on his computer.

Manual says to set focal length to telephoto for the close-up lens.

He's having problems opening PDFs on his computer.

Manual says to set focal length to telephoto for the close-up lens.

I was able to read that part in the manual BE hooked me up with. Now just figuring out WHERE and HOW to do that. Easier said than done..

What PDF reader are you using that is giving you problems?

Use the zoom lever and set to maximum zoom without digital zoom. The close-up lens should be attached to the front of the camera lens with a screw-on adapter.

Back