Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern FOLKS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pleasure of working with some folks from Charleston at work, and get sent there every now and then. It's just downright wonderful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I had a challenging time understanding the accent of the locals.
    My first day on my new job in Houma, LA (60 miles southwest of New Orleans), just after graduating college in 1980, I had a meeting with the base manager. This meeting ended with him kicking me out of his office because I couldn't understand 3/4 of what he was saying. When I left his office, I really didn't know if he had also fired me. I did know that he was cursing at me, yankees in general and the idiots that kept hiring yankees and sending them to his base.

Years later (after I had earned my way), he would stroll up to me (typically with his entourage) at company social functions and retell the story of our 1st meeting. Depending on how many drinks he had, he could really make it interesting - he had people laughing so hard they almost fell down...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, Ron. My wife and I took jobs in rural Kentucky right after we got married. Sometimes we drove to Lexington. There was a significant difference between rural accent and the more cosmopolitan accent of a city.

I loved my first road trip with the company. We flew to TN, starting off in Kenton, and drove down the pipeline, through rural MS and LA, ending up in a town called Bastrop. Along the way I had my introduction to a bucket of crawdads, gumbo, and etouffe. We also stayed at a Holiday Inn where each room had sign / disclaimer about the water. Their water was amber colored and the sign said not to worry about the water. The locals have been drinking it for years, with no ill effects. Nevertheless, I drank bottled beverages...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12