Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    BB, the everlasting optimist

Seriously... I quit facebook maybe 3ish years ago and I don't regret it. It just *draws* you into sharing too many personal details with whatever scumbag is tilling the bottom of the internet for new botnet targets or identity-theft candidates. Facebook: like making youtube videos and having children - just cuz you can, doesn't mean you should! Information overload from reading every last news ticker will just turn you into a burnout and we'll all turn into a pile of self-licking-popsicle cynical curmudgeons. I can't have a decent conversation with people any more because all they do is quote the latest headlines at me...
    My son roped me into FB 2.6 years ago. I thought it was just for teenagers. Within a week of being there a person from my elementary school "friended" me and invited me to join our high school graduating class group, where I re-connected with a bunch of old friends and acquaintances, as well as made some new friends.

All detractors aside, like "facebook limbo" or "purgatory" and other human garbola, I've been enjoying seeing different sides of people I know from work, church, or the discussion forums, thngs I wouldn't have perceived otherwise.

I've also been enjoying the opportunity to play Scrabble, daily, and reluctabtly the knockoff (Words with Friends).

Yeah, it has a few cons, but the pros far outweigh those cons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    My son roped me into FB 2.6 years ago. I thought it was just for teenagers. Within a week of being there a person from my elementary school "friended" me and invited me to join our high school graduating class group, where I re-connected with a bunch of old friends and acquaintances, as well as made some new friends.

All detractors aside, like "facebook limbo" or "purgatory" and other human garbola, I've been enjoying seeing different sides of people I know from work, church, or the discussion forums, thngs I wouldn't have perceived otherwise.

I've also been enjoying the opportunity to play Scrabble, daily, and reluctabtly the knockoff (Words with Friends).

I can see that too, but also being 'forced' into friending your boss, or that one coworker you just don't want to see outside of the 9-to-5. Of course, I'm biased because I keep my private life very private and completely separate from work and all... but my coworkers keep telling me they made an account *for* me so they could friend me . So afaik, I don't have an account but if you see me on Facebook, it may not actually be me hahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People still use facebook? Isn't this fad over with yet?
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My facebook hasn't changed at all?! I don't understand what all the fuss is about :s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Jim,
    I suspect that you speak for the vast majority of people who have 'experienced FB. I've never joined because I really don't need another time-suck and the bi-monthly re-arrangement of their privacy controls (followed quickly by their spin-doctors trying to make it seem that their legions really are not overly exposed to scammers) left me feeling a bit exposed.

However, I suspect that for someone who has reasonable self control, FB would be extremely useful. When my wife & I start to travel extensively, I plan to join to share experiences w/ friends.

As Thez noted, there are other concerns for those within corporate confines. Were I still there, I wouldn't consider FB ...

CNBC did a slideshow of user-generated protests - some are quite humorous ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 09-22-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added CNBC slideshow link
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Jim,
    I suspect that you speak for the vast majority of people who have 'experienced FB. I've never joined because I really don't need another time-suck and the bi-monthly re-arrangement of their privacy controls (followed quickly by their spin-doctors trying to make it seem that their legions really are not overly exposed to scammers) left me feeling a bit exposed.

However, I suspect that for someone who has reasonable self control, FB would be extremely useful. When my wife & I start to travel extensively, I plan to join to share experiences w/ friends.

As Thez noted, there are other concerns for those within corporate confines. Were I still there, I wouldn't consider FB ...

CNBC did a slideshow of user-generated protests - some are quite humorous ...
    Most of those images have shown up on Facebook, by the disgruntled users. I'm probably in the minority, but I actually like the changes that were made. I just had to figure out what they were and how to use them.

Self-control is definitely a must. I can't stand the advertizing but it's unavoidable in our society, no matter where we go or what we use.

BTW, I'm limiting myself to FB. I don't use Twitter or Myspace and although people have been adding me to Google+ and Linkedin not doing much of anything with them. There's way too much to be involved with!

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I can see that too, but also being 'forced' into friending your boss, or that one coworker you just don't want to see outside of the 9-to-5. Of course, I'm biased because I keep my private life very private and completely separate from work and all... but my coworkers keep telling me they made an account *for* me so they could friend me . So afaik, I don't have an account but if you see me on Facebook, it may not actually be me hahaha.
    I have one supervisor whose policy is to NOT be "friends" with anybody on Facebook... except for one co-worker who truly is his friend. He took another position in the company and what was my 2nd shift supervisor is now my direct supervisor as well. We have 3 Scrabble games going on FB. Ya definitely want to be careful about whatcha say on FB....

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about right! And the latest is that Facebook plans to charge for usage, which I believe is just a false rumor.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast