Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper sand to use for mix

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    After searching all season, I FINALLY found some sand... Look in your phonebook for any sort of gravel/sand/rock supply places.. I found one here finally, lucked out at the local plant shop and a guy pointed me the right way. The stuff I got is 8 grit coarse industrial quartz, and was in a 100lb bag... But yeah, it needs to be silica or quartz.. You will also need to rinse it to get any salts/dirt/etc off from processing. http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_p...us_plants.html This stuff, once rinsed, was nice and pretty and clear, like quartz crystal(go figure. lol)

WOW that is what I'm looking for. Mesh 8 .. amazing! Do yo by any chance remember the name of the place you got this treasure from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    WOW that is what I'm looking for. Mesh 8 .. amazing! Do yo by any chance remember the name of the place you got this treasure from?
    I got it a local sand/gravel/rock quarry type place... The brand/company is Unimin, which is a world wide distributor.. You'll have to call around to masonry places or something like that.. Its "industrial quartz".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    I got it a local sand/gravel/rock quarry type place... The brand/company is Unimin, which is a world wide distributor.. You'll have to call around to masonry places or something like that.. Its "industrial quartz".

Thank you!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I have found a supplier of industrial sand that might have what I need.
    This company offers a range of sand for sale and sent me a product info:

So if I want the sand to be mostly mesh #12 - #14 the sand I'm looking for is #2 in the chart right? Or would you ladies and gentlemen recommend coarser sand such as #3?

What worries me is that "effective" particle size in #2 sand is only 1.3mm. Even if this is an average, judging by the particle size distribution they show in the chart, it is a bit too low. Or am I wrong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12