Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper sand to use for mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper sand to use for mix

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if mason sand is o.k. to use as a soil mix with peat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what mason sand is but you want to use silica, it should say on the bag

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I gather mason sand is very fine grained sand. If the sand is too finely grained it will compact into a dense mass. This means the pots may not drain as quickly as you want. Many CPs tend to have weak root systems and too dense media may not be all that good for them.

#16 mesh sand (grains ~1mm in diameter) is what is often recommended. You want something that is chemically neutral and stable - silica or quartz sand.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem with anything labeled as pool filter sand, myself. Can't comment on mason sand but if it compacts then not a good idea IMO.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Brooklyn, I can't find any pool filter sand, quartz sand, sharp sand, silica sand, or whatever you want to label it as! Very annoying. Most sands I can find at garden centers are too laden with salts and/or carbonate minerals to be good for use with CPs (I learned the hard way!) But I have had good success with freshwater aquarium sand. It's a bit expensive but it's nice and coarse, it's neutral, and it's available at every pet shop.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Living in Brooklyn, I can't find any pool filter sand, quartz sand, sharp sand, silica sand, or whatever you want to label it as! Very annoying. Most sands I can find at garden centers are too laden with salts and/or carbonate minerals to be good for use with CPs (I learned the hard way!) But I have had good success with freshwater aquarium sand. It's a bit expensive but it's nice and coarse, it's neutral, and it's available at every pet shop.
    Leslies pool supplies sells good quality silica sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After searching all season, I FINALLY found some sand... Look in your phonebook for any sort of gravel/sand/rock supply places.. I found one here finally, lucked out at the local plant shop and a guy pointed me the right way. The stuff I got is 8 grit coarse industrial quartz, and was in a 100lb bag... But yeah, it needs to be silica or quartz.. You will also need to rinse it to get any salts/dirt/etc off from processing. http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_p...us_plants.html This stuff, once rinsed, was nice and pretty and clear, like quartz crystal(go figure. lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im able to find pool filter sand with no problem...is there a certain grade I should use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast