Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (West) Yorkshire

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh how lovely! Looks familiar (big fan of the old show "All Creatures Great and Small").
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow
    Do you kno the elevation of that place?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That star moss is wild. Love the look of it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MH1,
    Thanks for sharing some very interesting pics! I think I need to get my dictionary out to try to understand a few of your comments for the 1st series (LoL) .... "A few of the many irratics", "Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom" & "Path leading up to white-wells".

Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    That star moss is wild. Love the look of it..
    I had some start to invade some of my pots about 8 months ago. At first I thought it looked cool, then it started to bother me because of how prolific it was. Last weekend I dug into a pot of a D. camporupestris that had died and the pot was covered with this stuff. The moss roots ('rhizoids') created a strong interlocking mass where once there was loose media. While I cannot be certain, it appears that this stuff choked my one & only dew of that South American species. Now I've got to see what I can do to eradicate it from my collection before it kills other plants ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    The stereotype that I have of England is cobble stone streets, little villages and Black Death.
    The first two still exist, but hopefully Black Death doesn't

I was on a training course in an old harbour area of Aberdeen, Scotland last week and some of the roads are still cobbled there:

View Larger Map

The area around Aberdeen University still has some cobbled street too:

View Larger Map

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsammich View Post
    Wow
    Do you kno the elevation of that place?
    Elevation on Ilkley Moor is 1,319 ft max, and the dales pictures could be anywhere up to 2,415ft. It's not really that high in comparison to most mountains. Dale literally means 'hill'- very high hills, at that, but not really mountains. It's just low cloud

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    MH1,
    Thanks for sharing some very interesting pics! I think I need to get my dictionary out to try to understand a few of your comments for the 1st series (LoL) .... "A few of the many irratics", "Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom" & "Path leading up to white-wells".
    LOL sorry, local/geographical terminology is pretty inclusive to my region/environment.

Irratics
    - stones carried by glaciers from other regions- the rock is usually a different type to the surrounding are. I think the irratics here are limestone, wheras the area is millstone-grit sandstone.

Tarn- basically a pond, but tarns are usually formed by the crater left behind when the start of the glarier melts (caused by rotational slip as fallen snow slowly moves down from the top of the glacier and compacts, eroding the rock around it). The said tarn was there originally, but was made larger in the 1800s for scenic walks.

White-wells- A white house/well at the top of Ilkley Moor. In it there is a deep well that victorians used to bathe in. It's rediculously cold, and people go into it every New Years Eve for charity. I think someone died doing it a few years ago. Ilkley used to be a famous 'spa town' where to Victorians would go on holiday to 'take the cold waters'. The opposite of thermal springs. The cold water was used in various ways, but its used does boost white-blood cell count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12