Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (West) Yorkshire

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(West) Yorkshire

I really love the pictue threads people have of where they live- so I thought I'd make one (even though I have pretty average photo skills & a simple digital camera). I'm always fascinated by seeing how different it is on a different continent- so here goes. Today was sunny, so I seized the chance to soak up some vitamin D

Path up to the moors

Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom- for the wealthy to have their promenades

Path leading up to white-wells,

A few of the many irratics carried here by glaciers thousands of years ago

Windberries- a close relative of blueberries- just smaller and red on the inside. Everywhere on the lower moor

Bracken grows everywhere on the lower moor- it's dying off for Autumn now though. It's actually carciogenic, and infects the water table with a carciogenic chemical, which means that people who live in bracken areas are more likely to get bowel cancer.

Stinging nettles(left) and Dock-leaves(far right). The first stings, and the second helps the sting. They nearly always grow together. Nettles are evil- my sting is still pulsing from today.

Glacial rock formations (there's a more impressive one, but didn't go to that part of the moor)

My dog pratting around above Ilkley

The ground gets pretty eroded from walkers and heavy rain-

The ears of the UK- used to listen in on Soviet Russia.

SHEEP. The higher part of the moor is larger, flatter and more barren. Sheep, sphagnum moss and heather everywhere.

1/4 of the UK is this! A similar moor nearby was the setting for Wuthering Heights.

Piles and piles of sphag. Spoilt for choice of which to shoot, so just took a photo of the first patch I saw

Rice red sphag- there were even brighter patches than this one

Star Moss-

All the heather in these photos bloomed bright purple 2 weeks ago - I'd hoped they'd still be flower

A poisonous toadstool (I think) on a steep incline on the edge of a marsh

I hope you liked these so far- forgive my sub-par photography. Will post some more the next time I go out to a different place

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I don't often think of the UK as being so green and full of ferns and such.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?! Where I live ferns just pop up everywhere LOL. I kinda thought the sterotype of britain was green and rainy lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stereotype that I have of England is cobble stone streets, little villages and Black Death.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Cobbled streets? That was unexpected haha! Maybe I'll take some pics of our next village along the next time I go- it's basically JUST cobbled streets and stone houses/cottages aha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oo pretty
    I like the sheep pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing a bit of your part of the world.
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some older photos in my photo library-

Winter before last when we had a foot of snow (our past 3 winters have been unusually cold and snowy, down to 0F at least once each year.)

The 12 apostles on the very top of Ilkley Moor- they're celtic, like stone-henge

The rest are misc photos taken in the dales, about 30 mins drive away. Ilkley Moor is the beggining of the Dales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast