User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: CP of the month notice

  1. #9
    Oh, the humanity!! TheFury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps the winners of all the the "__________ of the month" contests should be entered into the CP of the month contest. Like a CP Superbowl.

  2. #10
    Your one and only pest! Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    It's less handling all the threads and more that it doesn't make sense to have a separate contest for everything. There's a pitcher of the month, drosera of the month, ceph of the month, and sarr of the month. Even then a few categories get left out. Why not just mesh them all together and have a big contest that anyone with a nice cp, regardless of type, can enter? like I said, this is up for review, but it really isn't fair that someone with a nice heli or ping can't enter it in a contest.
    Wait, are you saying someone's Drosera would be entered against someone's say, heli? No, I don't think that's fair at all. People will naturally have a favorite genus of CP and the contests may consistently choose the same genera while excluding nice, but less popular, genera that also deserve to be recognized. If, however, you mean making a POTM thread to collect all entries and place all polls in, that just seems unnecessarily confusing. I believe a POTM should be for plants that don't have a contest of their own.

    Also, I don't agree with rule #3. If a plant is clearly in a genus, it doesn't matter what species it is. It can still look nice.

    Also, will there be a sarr plant of the month? Seems odd, considering they wont be growing again until spring. (Although my purp. is looking nice atm)

  3. #11
    I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't be entering any more dews against some of the amazing Neps, Helis, and Cephs I've seen here...they wouldn't stand a chance. Not worth finicking over...
    -Josh
    Grow list

  4. #12
    Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    perhaps the winners of all the the "__________ of the month" contests should be entered into the CP of the month contest. Like a CP Superbowl.
    I think this is a neat idea if the old system is kept. Maybe the winners of the superbowl could be included in next years calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Wait, are you saying someone's Drosera would be entered against someone's say, heli? No, I don't think that's fair at all. People will naturally have a favorite genus of CP and the contests may consistently choose the same genera while excluding nice, but less popular, genera that also deserve to be recognized. If, however, you mean making a POTM thread to collect all entries and place all polls in, that just seems unnecessarily confusing. I believe a POTM should be for plants that don't have a contest of their own.

    Also, I don't agree with rule #3. If a plant is clearly in a genus, it doesn't matter what species it is. It can still look nice.

    Also, will there be a sarr plant of the month? Seems odd, considering they wont be growing again until spring. (Although my purp. is looking nice atm)
    When you say POTM, do you mean Pitcher of the month (as in nepenthes) or are you referring to a general CP of the month? I'm not sure of the question, sorry.

    Sarr of the month, as you said, doesn't make sense for the most part over the northern hemisphere winter. However, there are still people who grow them on the other side of the equator--so though there would only be only a few people entering each month, a general CP of the month would at least give them that option, as with temperate dews and vfts. I'm proposing this because every plant would get a chance and be judged on the same grounds, and the whole battle would be a lot more epic, with a lot more entries.

    I agree with you on rule #3. I strongly recommend labeling the plant if you can, but if you're not sure on the species it should still be fine. It's about looks, not pedigree, after all.

    I just want everyone to remember that everything is up for review! I want EVERYONE to be happy here!

    Happy growing!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

  5. #13
    Your one and only pest! Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    1,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant a general plant of the month. If we keep the old system then, I would be all for an additional plant of the month for plants that are excluded from other contests. Do you think, if we make a general competition, that Drosera, neps, and cephs should be excluded?

  6. #14
    Oh, the humanity!! TheFury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Maybe the winners of the superbowl could be included in next years calendar
    YES!!

  7. #15
    Aristoloingulamata Dexenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southern Tongass Rainforest, Alaska
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the superbowl style thing would be awesome! I am of the opinion that there should be a contest of the month for as many genre as people demand! Right now it seems that Nepenthes, Cephalotus and maybe Drosera are the real popular ones.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a Pinguicula of the month or even a Utricularia of the month. If it's a time management thing I certainly wouldn't mind helping out.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

  8. #16
    icemansyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upstate, New York
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the "superbowl style" sounds like the best idea if ppl are able to manage all of the separate POTM contests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •