What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

glow in the dark mushrooms

Cool! I wonder if the kit actually works, mushrooms are hard to intentionally grow VS having them come in uninvited and become a plague - pest you don't want! LOL

woah! So they actually glow without any black light or anything? Want!

Speaking of fungi, has anyone here tried inoculating the soil with carnivorous fungi to fend off nematodes? Just curious. Could be helpful for pings :)

We used to have glow in the dark mushrooms in our earthen floor cellar/garage. They died back a long time ago though :(

Gill - I saw that In Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand too but I don't have any idea where to get them.

I've seen bioluminescent fungus that grows in our fire wood every now and then. Pretty wild!

It would be cool to cultivate some of these glowing mushrooms but I don't really know the practical application of growing them. Mushrooms are pretty short lived and unless you could get a sustainable reflush occurring it might be a pretty brief waste of time.

I've seen bioluminescent fungus that grows in our fire wood every now and then. Pretty wild!

Known as Foxfire around here... a nice green glow, I use to trail ride a lot and would see if from time to time on moonless nights.

its a cultivation kit for mushrooms that glow! never seen anything like it before and figured some people might wanna see this

From growing edible mushrooms I know that it might not be easy to grow the intended mushrooms from that kit.

The growing conditions for mushrooms are much the same as the growing conditions for mold and fungus. So if you start with just some "spores" of a certain species in a kit (kit = spores and instructions as a minimum product contents), you must provide pretty sterile conditions for your substrate and appliances used. Otherwise you will have good chances to grow just mold and fungus of unknown species instead of the intended species of mushrooms.

If anybody actually is giving it a try, perhaps he can post what the instructions tell about
- the substrate (wood species?) needed
- the time needed to see actual mushrooms growing from the spores

I think that the success rate would be much higher if they'd offer "mycelia kits" instead of "spore kits", as this reduces the chances of fungus contamination for unexperienced growers and reduces the time drastically to actually see mushrooms growing. But on the other hand the company would have to provide always fresh mycelia kits, as they cannot be stored for long.

Success rate might be the same or less as with such VFT growing kits:
http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Fly-Trap-Growing-Kit/dp/B004E5KJA8/
(Read the review and you know what happens most likely to the unexperienced grower.)

I'm with Jesse, it's made to sound really easy on the website but if they're anything like the kits I've had experience with then it would be much more difficult than just drilling a hole into any log and loading that with spores. Like Jesse said you'd need sterility or you risk contamination.

Still on the off chance it works, that would be super duper neat! They'd make a great lighting source for my secret underground cavern :D

I've read that freshly cut birch, oak, or alder are preferred mediums. I think thy'd be fun in a bog garden.

Also known as Jack-O-Lanterns. Don't eat them.. life will suck for 12-24 hours if you do. They are a wild growing late summer mushroom around here. Pretty common..

Back