What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidifiers, fans and timers

jbradt

stretch.... yawn...
hey all,

i was wondering, for those of you who run a humidifier on the same timer as the lights in a grow rack... do you run the fan on the same timer? it seems to make the most sense to me, but i thought i'd check.

i keep the fans running as long as the lights are on...dont know about others.

I keep my fans on 24/7, wind doesn't go on and off with the lights in nature why should it in a terrarium? I also use a thermostat connected to a fan cooling the lights off to kick on at 76 degrees and off at 72. Probe is inside the terrarium, firmly attached to a pot to be sure it doesnt slip into the cooler water and give false readings.

I keep my fans on 24/7, wind doesn't go on and off with the lights in nature why should it in a terrarium? I also use a thermostat connected to a fan cooling the lights off to kick on at 76 degrees and off at 72. Probe is inside the terrarium, firmly attached to a pot to be sure it doesnt slip into the cooler water and give false readings.

From my understanding (and please note that my understanding is very basic, so there's a huge chance that I'm totally wrong) having the fan going while adding humidity will circulate the humidity throughout the enclosure, while having the fan going without adding humidity will actually lower the overall RH of that same enclosure. I get your point about the wind in nature, but we're not talking about nature really; we're talking about artificial enclosures that try to emulate nature to the best of each keeper's ability.

I like the idea of having a thermostat hooked up to the cooling fan, but I'm really concerned with fans in place strictly for humidity control purposes.

i would use the fan all the time and put the humidifier on a humidistat

I run the fan 24/7, the humidifier is on the light timer.
Humidistats are very spendy. I found it quite easy to adjust the timer to keep the humidity levels acceptable. As long as the enclosure is ....enclosed, the fan will only circulate the humidity not eliminate it.

I apparently am backwards. I have my lights and humidifier/ fan on opposite schedules with a hour overlap. I figured in the wild it is going to be more humid at night. It also seems to provide more of a temp drop.

Back