What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes.

As many of you know, I am committed to my sobriety. Which means I'm pretty hardcore about my AA program as it pertains to my past drug addiction. That being said, I am avidly practicing the steps of the program. One of which I'm really trying to work on again is step 3) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him. Having had a spiritual awakening I feel it is God's will for me, in this life, to be a better father, husband, and self. In order to do so, I have to constantly ask myself if the decisions I'm making, and the things I'm doing are God's will as I believe it.
Well, no offense to the community, this forum, or the people here.. but this place has really been pissing me off lately. Which has really been affecting my home life. I've been a real jerk and a pain in the butt to live with lately because of my altered mood from certain things around here. Which is pretty pathetic, I know. But other than AA, this is my ONLY social outlet. Which is also pretty pathetic. But hey, I'm sober and disabled so my "real" friends are nonexistent these days.
Anyways, the reason I closed everything and left was because, rather than trying to bend here and continue to get pissed off and being a dink to live with, I decided it was best to just remove the problem from my life. Hence, closing all my active threads, contests, giveaways.. and just leaving. Unfortunately, even though I immediately felt better at home over the past week.. my days felt empty of social outlets. So now I'm a depressed and lonely tool. I need to find a happy medium between here and gone. SOooo..
Since no one picked up the POTM, I'll continue to do so. Rules are set in stone, and won't be changed or bent on. They've been that way longer than I've been a member, and so that's the way they'll stay. The other contests are done. They were my creation, and went sour really fast. Therefore, they are dead.
My being around is going to stay at a minimum until I can create a happy living situation once again. Since my family matters most to me, as does their happiness. BUT.. my online family also matters to me. As you are my only "real" friends these days. I couldn't quit you if I tried TF.
That being said, please bare with me while I try to make these minor life changes.
Thanks for reading, and maybe understanding..
~mass~

Aww that sucks
Youre kind of like a father I don't want to get emancipated from
You'll get through it, until then, just kno that were all with you

haha.. that's funny. Thanks buddy.

Hey Travis,

Sorry to hear about what has transpired here, and I feel quite dissapointed we have made you feel that way. I haven't been around much for last month, so I have really no clue what happened. But if I had anything to do with it I'm sorry. I hope you once again gain your security with us, and we do the same with you!

:hug: Kudos.

do what ever you need to for your health and well-being and we will support you

Welcome back. Even in that short time, you were sorely missed. Travis, it's really US that can't quit YOU.

The internet affords a certain amount of anonymity that allows people to act like dbags with little sense of consequence. Let those people and their aggro roll off you. You're a wonderful giving guy in as much experience as I have interacting with you.

good luck with everything, Travis. :)

Good luck my friend....you know where to find me if you ever need anything.

Wow Trav. I guess u just lerk too much. I didn't realize there was this much drama going on here. Although I stay out of the general section generally. The first time I was on TF I lived in it and clashed heads with a few people. Different political views and all. I'm sorry to say you are not the only one who has let things here piss you off. I'm glad you didn't leave. Glad you came back. Know I'm here for you bro. I wouldn't mind emailing with you if you need an ear. Who knows I might need an ear too.

I'm here for ya bro.

The thing about Terraforums, or the entire internet is that although you may form special relationships or create a lot of meaningful substance online, there will always be the fact that it's not face to face and so people will operate within that reality and there will be misunderstanding, there will be a lack of a will to understand and there will, of course, be a large array of differing view points and beliefs.

There will also be giant run-on sentences.

These things you just can't avoid! So it is our job, and difficult sometimes, to measure out how much we let the internet shape our actual lives. Clearly you have gone all-out with Terraforums, you've been doing giveaways and forming friendships, taking it upon yourself to do contest threads and on top of that building such a giant collection in such a short amount of time. So take a break, let it sink to the bottom. Grow your plants, love your family do your thang. Just make sure to have a lot of update photos later on. :)

Remember the internet will be here. Terraforums will be here, and probably most of us will still be here.

Good luck on your changes and I wish you well.

You're one of my favorite members one here, just to let you know. The plant giveaways and trades, photos of your collection, etc. You're held in the highest regards in my eyes. And you whet my palette for terrestrial Utrics. The U. graminifolia is taking off!

Do what you have to do to get life sorted out, that's the most important thing. I would take over POTM if I was better with computers and wasn't a working artist.

Kudos to you in getting your life back in order, on the homefront. Dexenthes said it pretty well, even with run on sentences (LOL!).

Don't know you that well but I'm glad you're back man :)

the old cliche

rings true......
ONE DAY AT A TIME
Take them as they come and make the best of each day.
This is a choice we all make every morning when we wake up.
Given the fact that you can now see there are many paths to choose in life, some of the side roads are fun...some are not, choose wisely my Friend.

You always have an ear to bend here Travis, you have my #.:wave:

Mass,

Good luck to you with everything. I hope things will improve for you! And it's good to see you here more!
By the way your pings are doing great, and if you think about it, they are a tiny part of you in my house, family and life :) As cheesy as it sounds it is true.

Thanks mate!

Sorry to hear everything that happened. It's not your fault.
I'm glad that God helped you find your mission :) (sorry if that's worded wrong)
You are an excellent father, and I believe you always will be. If you ever need me, PM me or email me anytime :)

And a little poem I wrote in general (I write songs, not poems, but they're both about the same to write :)

Over the horizon
an orange globe
pulls itself together
rises above you

Looking up at it you smile
Never has it been so bright
Remember to live and your day
Will be just as breathtaking.

I hope you feel better soon Travis! I think you just need some hugs! :hug:

Travis,
Do you have any other hobbies besides CP's?
I am a member of a LOT of internet forums/discussion groups!
probably 20 or so..forums about:

Model Railroads
Real Railroads
Restoring antique snowblowers
Restoring antique garden tractors

Virtually ALL of them remain completely free from political/moral/religious debates..
and thus, are very friendly and uplifting..
actually, terraforums is the "worst" in that respect..by far.

why is terraforums worse?
because virtually all of the other forums have a simply rule.."no religion or politics"..
they do allow "off topic" discussions..but the second it veers into religion or politics, its shut down.
and since all the members know this, it virtually never happens anyway!
(I have often lobbied for such a rule here..but no one has ever listened..)

So my advice..find a better forum! ;)
what else are you interested in?
odds are, there is a community for it..

the internet *can* be a friendly place..you just have to find a community where "anything goes" is *not* allowed..
thats when the worst of humanity comes out..simply because its tolerated.
and no, its not censorship..because the admins/owners of these groups just have to say:
"if you want to talk religion or politics, no one is stopping you, there are billion other places you can go, just not here."

Scot

Hey Travis,

Awesome outlook on your continuing success with your sobriety and family in general. I can only offer the utmost support in whatever positive choices you make. Very noble of you to put something like that together.

My only advice would be to stick around the forums if you wish, and if something or someone bothers you around here dont hesitate to fully communicate it! Nothing good comes from holding emotions in. And in saying that, I definitely don't let peoples personal opinions, or lack there of, affect me. Not worth it!

Be well and talk soon

~GregNY

Back