User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pics for Ron / or anyone who wants to see a wipeout!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang looks like you had a blast! Canoes are great for a nice relaxing trip on a slow river or lake. Small one man canoes/duckies and kayaks are great fun for whitewater.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Dang looks like you had a blast! Canoes are great for a nice relaxing trip on a slow river or lake.
    Personally, I hate canoes. They require 'odd' strokes to paddle straight (which are unnatural & a pain imho) and their tall sides act like a sail in the slightest breeze.

Mr. elgecko hears some version of this rant on all of our expeditions ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Personally, I hate canoes. They require 'odd' strokes to paddle straight (which are unnatural & a pain imho) and their tall sides act like a sail in the slightest breeze.

Mr. elgecko hears some version of this rant on all of our expeditions ...
    Yes Ron does rant about disliking canoes on our outings way too much.

I do agree with the odd stroke and there tall sides. I hate it when the wind picks up. Pushes the canoe all around... Then again mine does have a perfectly flat / smooth bottom which makes it better for running whitewater; maneuverability. Some canoes do have a keel to help them track better and be less influenced by the wind.

I do feel that canoes can have advantages over a kayak on long trips out on the water, like when I was in the Okefenokee and Everglades for several days away from land. You can move around in the canoe, which you can not in a kayak. May be hard to access gear...I'll find out next year when I take some weekend trips. May just require good planning when packing to access what is needed during the day on the water.

Pictures of the adventure in Okefenokee and Everglades if anyone want to have a look, Ron I noticed something and you may be able to view these now.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=36ee3c8fc1

If I do like it for trips I may look into getting a 14'-16' touring kayak for extended trips on the water.

Well here's my... I mean my wife's new 12' rec kayak.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Now if I can get her to come along on our Pine Barren trips....

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold the canoe a while ago.
    Looked at lots of different yaks, paddled a few.
    Brought this one home tonight after freezing my hands off paddling it. So much faster then the canoe.

Venture Easky 15'

Just wanted to add, how exciting it was when he had to cut all the foam and plastic off the new boat. I was really hoping I would like the boat after that... then it would have been a used boat. ha
    Last edited by elgecko; 02-04-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks sweet - congrats! How does it track? (btw - we need to set a date for the NC trip)
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    Seemed to track really well.
    Only paddled it 15 - 20 minutes total. Played with it in 12" or so of water seeing how the stability was at first. Initial was weaker then some others I checked, but the secondary was really strong. Thought I'd like that better when leaning to photograph, or just edging the boat.
    Unfortunately he thought it came with a rudder, but it was only rudder ready. Not sure I'll really need a rudder. May take more trips to the Bay with this boat then I did with the canoe. Even then I usually paddle close to shore in marshy areas looking for wild life anyway, not out in the open. Although my one buddy has made mention about paddling across the Bay before....

I think you mentioned about April. Nothing going on April 19-24. I'd be driving down the 19th. Not 100% sure if I'd leave to come home Monday the 23rd or Tuesday the 24th.... Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When fighting a crosswind in open water - especially with waves coming at an angle, the rudder is really worth it. It allows you to just paddle with few or no correction strokes. It's also very helpful when you put your paddle down & use binocs to check something out - the boat will keep tracking straight. Without the rudder - the boat almost always starts to curve - very irritating. For cruising slowly in backwater areas, I rarely use it.

Let me check the dates to see when we were there last time & I'll get back to you.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron,
    Liked the idea about when using binocs or taking pictures.
    I did not feel like spending $150.00 or more on a rudder for my boat, so I did a search for DIY rudders.
    Found some plans and thought I should have the metal shop use the CNC punch to make my parts.
    Asked the operations how much to punch the pieces out, and was told what I was expecting, nothing.
    Brackets are 1/8" aluminum, and the supervisor of the metal shop suggested I go with 3/16" on the rudder. I gave the rudder a little taper on the leading and trailing edge. I do not know if it will make any difference going through the water or not.
    So it should not be hard at all to get this attached to my boat since it's already rudder ready.
    Should have this made up under $25.00.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast