What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydrated horticultural lime vs pelleted dolomitic lime

Brie

Sarracenia freak
So I went looking for lime for my pings...

The hardware store thats my usual go-to place for any plant supply only had two types of Lime.. "Hi-Yield" brand Horticultural Hydrated Lime, which feels like a fine fluffy powder, and Whitney Farms "Prilled" dolomite lime, which felt like it was pelleted.

I bought the bag of Hydrated Lime, since I figured I needed a powder.. But before I actually use it I want to double check that this stuff is ok to use. I can go back and trade it in for the pelleted lime if thats the one I wanted. Can anyone help me out?

Here's the label for the Hydrated lime, if it helps anyone tell me about it..
http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/msds/horticultural-hydrated-lime-label.pdf

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

So after reading on other general gardening forums about the hydrated lime, apparently its the wrong one to use, esp for containers. So now the question stands at, is the "prilled"(pelleted) dolomitic lime ok, and can I use it as is, or should I crush it up into a finer powder? It feels like they're little round balls, maybe the size of osmocote pellets.

The dolomitic lime should be fine as is. I used it on my sole ping and its growing great:).

Did you use the pelleted variety, in whole pellet form?

I have used this product:
Espoma Organic Traditions Garden Lime
31vDdlvd9qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is derived from Dolomitic lime and is in pelleted variety. I

how much of it did you use? the article on mexi pings on the ICPS site recommended 1tbs per 1cup of media.. but Im assuming this was for the powder, not pellet... And the pellets you used didnt break down and brick up the substrate? (which is what I was worried about)

Brie, I used the same lime as GZ. I cant remember the exact ratios but I was following the same article you are:). The pellets dont seem to affect the media at all...besides raising pH:p.

Back