Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killing fungus gnats/larvae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killing fungus gnats/larvae

uuggghhhh... So out of curiosity, I uprooted a few of my declining pings to take a look at their roots... And yeah. THERE ARE NO ROOTS. Just lots and lots of $(@&$( fungus gnat larvae. Son of a... SO.. Any pointers on eradicating these little buggers? I'm going to repot EVERYTHING here in a few days.. Is there anything I can do to keep them from coming back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...wow that sucks! You should post pictures. Nothing I can think of besides pesticides.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    uuggghhhh... So out of curiosity, I uprooted a few of my declining pings to take a look at their roots... And yeah. THERE ARE NO ROOTS. Just lots and lots of $(@&$( fungus gnat larvae. Son of a... SO.. Any pointers on eradicating these little buggers? I'm going to repot EVERYTHING here in a few days.. Is there anything I can do to keep them from coming back?
    This (dissolve in water or just dump a few vermiculite pieces with nematodes into the top layer of soil), or repot in ALL mineral soil. Avoid anything organic.

Quote Originally Posted by HeliLover View Post
    Oh...wow that sucks! You should post pictures. Nothing I can think of besides pesticides.
    Pesticides and fungicides don't go well with pings from what I read.
    Last edited by gill_za; 10-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People say keeping a mineral top layer like silica sand deters them...not sure how to get rid of the larvae in the first place though.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinkin about using those Mosquito Dunks.. Im concerned about things like dew seedlings as well when I put all my seeds into strat.. Anyone know if they harm pings/seedlings/other delicate plants?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Im thinkin about using those Mosquito Dunks.. Im concerned about things like dew seedlings as well when I put all my seeds into strat.. Anyone know if they harm pings/seedlings/other delicate plants?
    They could raise the TDS of water and mess up your pH, but if you use a small portion of the ring I think it should not be a problem. I have used systemic insecticide on other plants and have added beneficial nematodes to others. Very rarely I see a gnat anywhere (knocks on wood)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    They could raise the TDS of water and mess up your pH, but if you use a small portion of the ring I think it should not be a problem. I have used systemic insecticide on other plants and have added beneficial nematodes to others. Very rarely I see a gnat anywhere (knocks on wood)...
    Well, apparently they're a bacteria, not a pesticide, that kills the larva once eaten.. I dont think it would mess up the water TOO much.. i'll do some more research on em but so far they sound pretty promising..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gnatrol is the best natural fugus knat control but not cheap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast