What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This tree I aint climbing!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
There's a shopping center a few miles away that's bordered with kapok trees. Beautiful ladies they are, they are above such trivial things as climbing, and hugging, and will rebuff every effort to try.

074.jpg

069-2.jpg

072.jpg

078-1.jpg

077.jpg

Years ago, kapok fluff was used as stuffing for things like pillows, life jackets, mattresses, etc.

073.jpg

One darned neat tree!

Awesome! Tropical flowering trees are some of the most awesome plants in the world, second maybe to CPs. :D I've been wondering if that species was hardy in the Bay Area. I was considering getting one for my yard, but I eventually settled on Bauhinia x blakeana since it stays smaller and has a less dangerous trunk.

(not my tree)

CAESALPINIACEAE 蘇木科 - Bauhinia blakeana 洋紫荊 by kaiyanwong223, on Flickr

What a freaking sweet tree! I think I have seen one once or twice, they look somewhat familiar.

Thanks for sharing. :)

haha.. tree huggers beware.

still used in life jackets

I chose a PFD filled with Kapok instead of a manmade material. It works quite well and has a very long life for a natural product.
Thanks for sharing its origin with me!

Beautiful!

Awesome
I remember seeing those in Costa Rica, they get huge!

Natalie, they're surrounding the parking lot of the Target in Cupertino, near 85 and Steven's Creek. If you go now, you CAN'T miss them-- they're all pink!

BoxofRain, they still use kapok? Wow. I'll keep an eye out for that. However, if I ever do buy a new PFD, it'll be an inflatable. MUCH more comfortable for a girl, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Natalie, they're surrounding the parking lot of the Target in Cupertino, near 85 and Steven's Creek. If you go now, you CAN'T miss them-- they're all pink!
Awesome, I might have to find a reason to get down that way now. :D

Back