Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Vase of Sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Vase of Sarracenia

While putting my plants into dormancy yesterday, I decided it would be neat to keep the best looking pitchers and put them in a vase. :P Here are some crappy pics:

Here it is at the table:

It smelled really bad at first, but then I sprayed all of the insides of the pitchers with febreez. Now they`re like and air freshener! I don`t think they will last long, though.

I`m sure many people out there could make a better vase; mine doesn`t even have leucophylla. If you make a vase, take pics!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on doing the same thing! lol.. Looks super cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool
    Has anyone used a nep as a vase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Brie: Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cpsammich View Post
    Very cool
    Has anyone used a nep as a vase
    Neat idea..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks as good as any vase of flowers! I'm confused as to what putting them in dormancy means up in your area - you typically cut the pitchers off even if they still look good? Do you bring them inside for the winter? Do the plants bounce back OK in the spring? I always thought that the pitchers needed to slowly wither away as the plants removed and stored the nutrients from them, but I guess you have no choice if it's getting quite cold out. These northerly climates are mind-boggling to me, we're still having days in the mid-80s (28-29 for Celsius folks) here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I have often considered using Sarracenia or Nepenthes in a flower arrangement or on a corsage. Yours looks good.

My Sarracenia are entering dormancy as we speak.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Looks as good as any vase of flowers! I'm confused as to what putting them in dormancy means up in your area - you typically cut the pitchers off even if they still look good? Do you bring them inside for the winter? Do the plants bounce back OK in the spring? I always thought that the pitchers needed to slowly wither away as the plants removed and stored the nutrients from them, but I guess you have no choice if it's getting quite cold out. These northerly climates are mind-boggling to me, we're still having days in the mid-80s (28-29 for Celsius folks) here.
    Honestly, I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to wait until the pitchers wither away, but it doesn't seem to matter. Since it's too cold to leave them outside here, and too warm inside, I put mine in the fridge, unpotted, with all of the pitchers cut off. But for flytraps, I leaves all of the good traps on the plants and only cut off the dead parts. I think I'm a little early to put the plants into dormancy, but they weren't really growing anyway. Plus, they were getting eaten by the squirrels a lot. :P

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarrecenia pitchers are used quite a bit in the cut flower business.

For a bit of perspective see this thread "A different kind of conservation"
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast