What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a mobile version of Terraforums?

I use my mobile (cellular) phone for quite a lot of internet browsing when I'm out and about and have noticed that some forums now have a mobile version which is more suited (readable) on small displays, i.e. Android and iPhone phones. Is this a feature that is available on Terraforums or one that could be enabled? As an example, if you visit www.vbulletin.com/forum/ (QR Code below) on an Android or iPhone you will see what I mean.

img.php

Last edited:
I have purchased the new version of Vbulletin (v4) just haven't installed it yet. BUT for the mobile version that you're seeing on their site... is an extra $200, as well as access to an apple computer (nope, don't have it) and developer accounts with google and apple... which I think also have fees. So no, not likely to happen. Sorry.
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, I thought it came as part of the package, as I think it does with latest versions of IPB. With that it's simply a modified skin which makes it more suited to mobile touchscreen devices, no developers accounts etc as far as I'm aware.

This format works fine on my iPod touch
If anything is too small you can zoom in (pinch out or double tap with 3 fingers) or just turn it sideways

It works very well on my iPhone, but it takes for-ev-er to load.

It works on my Android too, but a pain having to zoom in and out to able to read.

Like I said, it takes bleedin' forever. The main page of TF sometimes crashes Safari Lite. Once I get it loaded, I dash off the home page, and bury myself deep into the discussion pages, which load fine. The full page chat works OK, but I need to reload it manually.

Hm again it's lightening fast on wifi
What's safari light?

That's what I call the version of Safari on my iPhone.

If it is the chat that slows down/crashes your mobile version, and you are not using it... click the minus sign to the top right of the chatbox and that hides it... mostly. Maybe that will help. The forum ran fine on my last phone (original droid) and is amazing on the bionic (4glte) except when the battery dies, then the forum doesn't load at all. HAHAHAHAHA. really though- :-(

Andrew

It runs ok on my HTC Wildfire, just a bit of a strain trying to read it... I guess I'll stick to reading it on laptop rather than on mobile when out and about.

I use the forum quite often on my iphone and it works great. I have no problem reading the text size when the phone is in landscape mode, only have to zoom in when selecting a second page.

I often find myself going to the full websites when a mobile site is offered because they are usually so limited.

Well, my wish came true... the new version of Terraforums works very well on my mobile (cellular) phone. Cheers Andrew :)

Yes, there is a mobile style. Just navigate all the way to the bottom of the page and pick the "default mobile style" in the drop-down on the left.

For those of you who don't like the current Dark Green SEO style you can choose the "VB4 Default style".

No need to change it to 'Default Mobile Style', as it automatically detects it's a mobile and uses it, the same way as IPB does.

Back