Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caught the bug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I stepped on. I doubt I'll find another except by accident while out playing in the Delta. I actually hope I do.

ETA. I just looked up giant water bugs. No, that is not what I stepped on. Mine was actually a giant water beetle, all shiny and jet black. Water bugs are, well, bugs. Shield-shaped, soft wing covers, and true sucking mouth parts.

Even better: I know a spot where I can find many, many water bugs. The only problem is, I can't remember where it is. I have been trying to find it again after accidentally discovering the place as a child. It is lost somewhere in the local hills, on some desolate back road, where an underground creek pops out and become super-surface for about a quarter mile before slurping back underground again. When I find this place, I have found giant grasshoppers, water bugs, gloss-black tarantula hawk wasps, guppy-like minnows, and beautiful rock formations seemingly sculpted by the Creator Himself. I will find it, hopefully sooner than later. It all starts somewhere off of Calaveras Road.......
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 11-12-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: ETA
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    Hey, if I can't catch any, could you? Would you?

If they'll eat stuff that big, minnows will be easy meals. Good to know.
    Go out at night with a flashlight with a net, they seem to be very active at night. Yes, I'm weird studying these kinds of things at night, I admit it, but a lot of activity goes on at night in ponds and creeks I just gotta see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brrrr! I'll look around for a place I can do that without being arrested or molested.

I like to think I know "stuff" about bugs, but I'm apparently lacking in the aquatics category. I intend to fix this! Thanks for the kick in the backside.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I backpack a lot and nothing else to do but look at nature right down to the little bugs, LOL. My trail name is "Eyes," dubbed on me because I notice the little things that everyone else misses. No humans to worry about wandering around where I go, perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have time this week to play around on Google Earth and try to find that darned road. Heck, what am I saying-I've got the whole winter to find it. I guess I am not very patient.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vernal pools or ares with out fish seems to be good ones in terms of abundance of certain species of aquatic insects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good lead on which road it was on. Even if I don't find THE spot, there are many good spots all around me. I'll find my bugs, eventually. It sounds like I'll be doing lots of camping in the boat. I can feel the cramps forming already.

Kula, I can certainly look for vernal pools. I saw many good candidates during my Googling this afternoon.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past Sunday i went out to the local percolation ponds to see what I can find. Score! I pulled up some curly-leaved weeds, some nice, tough hair algae, and a huge bagie full of water net algae. Some of the nets had holes over 1.5mm across! I took a sample and made a little "ecosystem bottle", and found all sorts of goodies. Scuds (tensy freshwater shrimp), daphnia, cyclops, daphnia eggs, various mystery worms, and, double bonus, planarians and a hydra. Wow, loot! It's been an adventure playing with these critters. The hydrais currently digesting a daphnia, and is all bloated.

I had a 50+ gallon aquarium sitting around for a while, with 1/4" thick walls. I decided to make an outdoor aquarium, or more like a vertical see-through pond. I have a huge piece o tree roots in it, half submerged, and all my latest "loot" got tossed in. the water is already conditioned, and is a nice, thick muddy green (typical of ponds in the area). I gotta get some pictures.

Anyways, I intend to try to catch some boatmen, at least, and stick them in the pond. In the bag of net algae there were shed boatman skins and a few corpses, so i thin I have a good place to look later! This is just way too much fun.
    My WWWs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast