Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: dang wives......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep i know......and most anemone hosts that clownfish like are notorious for eating fish and inverts......tube anemones have a horrible rep for eating fish cause someone one time said they saw one eat one and its been reported that they are fish eaters ever since though it is extremely rare for them to take a fish cause the venom of most rank near the bottom of the scale for Cnidarids as most eat zooplankton.....however anemones like the carpet anemone of your dads will eat nearly everything but rarely get a mention as being a problem.....saw one article where a guy kept track of what his carpet anemone in his reef tank ate and in one year it consumed over $1000 worth of animals....

will need a bigger tank for the lion eventually but right now the tank he is in is over 7 times his length and he just hangs out next to the live rock anyway cause thats where the amphipods are....so as a youngin the 10 is ok but he will need a 30 as an adult....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most popular amongst both reefers and clownfish alike, are Rose Bubbles... Not powerful stingers, not really known for eating fish(not saying they WONT, but nothing like a carpet), and fairly hardy for an anemone.

You just have to be careful, because if you let them divide unchecked,you're tank will turn into this.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    thats about an 18 hour drive one way.....dont much care for drives over bout 12 hours
    lol well I ment if you ever happen to be in Seattle again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats the anemone i was looking at most......figure he will be one of the first additions, let him choose the spot he likes best and then add corals.....not a big fish eater may eat some inverts, stays a lil smaller and though he will damage corals he touches if i let him pick his favorite spot first than add corals later, they rarely move if they find a happy spot so it becomes a very minor issue....
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    thats the anemone i was looking at most......figure he will be one of the first additions, let him choose the spot he likes best and then add corals.....not a big fish eater may eat some inverts, stays a lil smaller and though he will damage corals he touches if i let him pick his favorite spot first than add corals later, they rarely move if they find a happy spot so it becomes a very minor issue....
    Well, the general consensus with anemones is to make sure the tank is very stable and mature before adding one. They dont tolerate swings in KH/temp/salinity much, or bad water quality thats usually present after cycling(high nitrate). Long as the tank has been running for 3-6 months and you've done proper testing/water changes, should be good to go. Also as for size, there's actually two types of Rose Bubble. One of them, the True Rose Bubble, gets huge. Same size as a carpet. They are usually pink with maybe a slight hint of blue under the tentacles, and their pedal dist(under side of them and "stalk") is flesh colored. Beige to dark brown. Then there are "Colonial" Rose bubbles. They stay smaller, and their pink has a slight broken up effect if you look at them super closely. Like they're stippled. Lots of tiny dots. They're usually more "bubbled" as well at the tips. And their pedal disc is usually shades of purple. From maroon to bright royal purple. These also stay alot smaller, but like their name suggests, they split much more rapidly so you'll have more clones to deal with.. Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what i meant.....trying to get paper out and writing in "short hand" tank up and cycled ect and the anemone gets added before a bunch of corals do so it gets first pic at what spot it wants rather than adding it after some corals and it decideds it likes the spot next to one of the corals i put in.....
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... who else wants photos when the tank is up and running? The reef bug has been biting me pretty had again. I've been out of the hobby for over 5 years now and that feels far too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    The most popular amongst both reefers and clownfish alike, are Rose Bubbles... Not powerful stingers, not really known for eating fish(not saying they WONT, but nothing like a carpet), and fairly hardy for an anemone.

You just have to be careful, because if you let them divide unchecked,you're tank will turn into this.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

lol well I ment if you ever happen to be in Seattle again.
    we wouldnt want Rattlers tank to end up like that, but those are some beautiful anemones!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

oh, yes, i also want pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill have pics of the process but i dont want a tank like Bries bottom pic....if im gonna let them do that i might aswell have a carpet anemone.....

have a monster in my wifes nano now that i hand feed......was picking up stuff at a saltwater store and the owner had just got in a shipment and said he had a brittle star that was to busted up that he didnt feel like he should sell it but it was healthy and would regrow the other half of some of its legs in time and did i want him as a freebe....i looked it over saw it was already regrowing its arms so i said sure i would take it.....

arm tip to arm tip he is prolly 7 inches and comes reaching out of the rockwork like the Kracken whenever i feed the fish....pretty well behaved if kept fed, have started hand feeding him krill a couple times a week cause he doesnt seem to get enough left overs and takes to hunting my wifes peppermint shrimp when he gets hungry.....
    cervid serial killer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast