Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Water Method

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Water Method

So a few weeks ago I went to my local swapmeet and I met up with one of my friends who actually sells his plants there (sometimes his carnivorous ones. ). And during one of our conversations he mentioned that he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools. When he changes the water out he gives it to his carnivorous plants! (He normally gives them rainwater that he collects.) So that day I went home utterly horrified on what would become of his plants. And now yesterday when I went back, I asked him how his plants were doing. Surprisingly enough (for me at least ), he said that they were doing fine! And some of them were actually speeding up their growth. Hearing about it from him I'm actually considering trying it myself. I'm guessing that the water hyacinths must have done something to the water to make it less fatal to carnivorous plants. Maybe drain it of its nutrients? What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kinda makes sense. water hyacinths are total nutrient hogs and will take up any type of nutrients found in the water. http://technology.ssc.nasa.gov/suc_stennis_water.html
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are used extensively in fish ponds, as they remove huge amounts of nitrogenous waste.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they remove minerals and chemicals in tap water, too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iirc, yes i believe i do. some metallic ions and certain carbonates as well. cant remember where i read it though.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit unclear with some details in your story - "he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools". What about the water in these kiddie pools is supposed to be toxic to CPs? Is it because it's tap water & 'assumed' to be full of minerals? Does he fertilize the hyacinths? What are the toxic agents that should be killing the CPs?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I'm a bit unclear with some details in your story - "he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools". What about the water in these kiddie pools is supposed to be toxic to CPs? Is it because it's tap water & 'assumed' to be full of minerals? Does he fertilize the hyacinths? What are the toxic agents that should be killing the CPs?
    I guess I forgot to mention the water he used. As far as I know he didn't use any fertilizer, but he gave them tap water that has a high enough concentration of minerals to kill his carnivorous plants. Which would be the reason why he would normally only water his plants with rainwater that he collects. That being mention I guess it must be the minerals in the water that would be killing the plants.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to grow Azzola in the water it add nitrogen to the water. I would assume speeding up growth too.

I have to stop by the college again and get another batch.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast