Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bio majors, got microscope question

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ill wait on the oil, the growiing pollen tube page says ill be using 40x... so im covered for now, but next time i order from scientific supply, ill get me some and the kimwipes

going to be an interesting project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you get the proper thickness cover slips. If I remember correctly, it does matter. Don't know where to point you for the answer. Just remembering college days 40 years ago.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another noob question that occured to me while pondering the application of immersion oils....

What keeps the cover slip from sliding when you use immersion oil.... seems as though the viscosity/lubricity of the oil would cause the slip to slide given the opportunity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    another noob question that occured to me while pondering the application of immersion oils....

What keeps the cover slip from sliding when you use immersion oil.... seems as though the viscosity/lubricity of the oil would cause the slip to slide given the opportunity?
    In the past we've only used immersion oils on permanent slides that we made (stained and non-stained) but it sounds like you're looking to use immersion on a non-permanent slide. I've heard of people applying dabs of petroleum jelly to the slide then pressing the coverslip down. The slides isn't permanent but does last a couple days and shouldn't move around. If you have the material I would consider creating a permanent slide, requires little time and materials and saves you the prep time each time. Plus you can easily use immersion oil over and over on it.

You may already know this but for the sake of saving you a possible heartache and pricey lens. Never use soap to clean your oil immersion lens. Just wipe it clean with something like a kim-wipe so as to not scratch it. Good find btw, dissecting scopes open an entirely new visual world as well. Good luck

EDIT: Ah just saw Dave and Amph already mentioned Kim-wipes, you're well covered mate.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yann!!!!!!!

woohoo, long time no see.... hey im going to grow me some heli pollen tubes, found a ghetto technique using the membrane from onion and leek

(see thread in pitcher plant subforum)

good to see ya, hope all is well with you, the gf and the dog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All doing well my friend, thanks for asking. Good find on the pollen tube growth method.

Will have to check back in on your shots after you've given it a go. I wouldn't be surprised if by then you'll have figured how to grow a whole new Heli out of just a pollen tube hehe

Have fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that once you have these minor details ironed out, you will, of course, be able to document (& share) pictures taken with the (previously unmentioned*) camera adapter that I know you must already have ...... I'm especially interested to see your excursions with photo-stacking in the new setup ...

Looking forward to some great pics to further our collective knowledge ....

tia

* but maybe I just missed the obvious in my quick perusal of the thread (& other related threads)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey Yann - great to see you! Don't be such a stranger! I understand congratulations are in order! Fantastic - my friend!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been looking at camera adapterrs and digi cams that take the place of eyepiece.... not enought knowledge to know what works and what doesnt.... so no, no adapter yet

will probably wait till i see if i can grow the dang things first :P

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast