Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: bio majors, got microscope question

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bio majors, got microscope question

I got a used microscope on ebay, its in very sweet conditiion but no immersion oil

If I want to watch pollen tubes grow, will I even need the 100x objective lens (1000x power) with immersion oil?

If so, is one immersion oil pretty much as good as another?

I've already ordered some blank slides and cover slips.... just wondering if I should now try to get some oil. I didnt know I needed it till I started reading on the proper operation of scopes.

ugh, I hate learning curves LOL

Thanks in advance,
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In some cases you will be able to see the tip of the tube moving if you observe it under high power. I have found a 40x objective good for this.
    From the link you provided in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Oh my, this sounds interesting.... no need for petri dishes, sugar solutions etc etc

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/.../jgpollen.html

Just a spanish onion or a leek and microscope....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been several decades since I've done histology but this web page should tell you what you want to know, specifically:

The most powerful lens of the light microscope is the 100x oil immersion objective. Because light is refracted every time it passes through a medium with a different refractive index, (air to glass or vice versa) the quality of the image is reduced with each passage. Thus, by reducing the number of such passages to a minimum, the clarity, brilliance and resolving power is preserved...

...Immersion oil has been formulated so that it has a refractive index identical to that of glass.
    Oils may be the same in having the same refractive index as glass but they may differ in shelf life, usable temperatures, drying out, etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehehe.... so i knew the answer, just didnt know i did till cpsammich told me i did

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lolz

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    It's been several decades since I've done histology but this web page should tell you what you want to know, specifically:
    ohhhh that is a keeper, ive read a couple refs that say to clean the oil up with xylene.... but omg is the lens coating ok with xylene?

i guess it is, but sheesh.... that just seems wrong LOL

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about xylene on the lens, we'd just wipe the oil off with kimwipes. Xylene was used to clean the slides prior to coating them with gel and to clean up any of the mounting fluid if you got sloppy.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfamiliar with "kimwipes".... but i assume its a pretreated lens tissue sorta like a wet one?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast