What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of the Day

LOL, you're scared of jumping spiders?! That's about as cute as a spider gets! I love 'em, they're absolutely fascinating. I wish we had more of 'em around here.

they're harmless..

021-6.jpg

Eh, I don't have a macro capable camera to take those super close up shots you guys do, but what I lack, I'll make up in quantity! A very common hybrid that, IMO, looks fantastic when it pitchers en masse! And it regularly does so!

My little drosophyllum farm,

02droso.jpg

That's a lot of Drosophyllum!

I saw some interesting green/turquoise bugs today so I took the camera out. it looks like some kind of wasp.

This is pretty much my first attempt at insect photography.

I edited them a bit.
7257857128_12c3d751ba_b.jpg

7257854760_8a3e69ffd2_b.jpg

It was cleaning itself. Sometimes it used it's head/mandibles to hold its body up while it groomed.
7257853318_f6a75b930c_b.jpg

Excellent photos, Devon! One suggestion, however: go easy on the blur tool (or whatever you used) and give it a softer gradation between the sharp and blurred zones. Otherwise these are superb pics!

A few that i've taken lately that i've particularly liked..

7235124506_4cd3996851_o.jpg

7235119484_f879d200cb_o.jpg

7198252264_ce3cfbe3e5_o.jpg

7198283896_9351230bf2_o.jpg

7167541386_cb64839c17_o.jpg

Awesome shots Devon, I really like the second one..

Everyone has such awesome cameras that take such awesome pictures. I love the insect photography, there's just no way I could ever pull that off at the moment.

BUT! I have a point and shoot and a dissection microscope! :mwahaha:

DSCN7476.jpg

DSCN7480.jpg

I just thought it was really interesting that there is a ring of white glands or trichomes or something on the lid of this N. argentii.

Excellent photos, Devon! One suggestion, however: go easy on the blur tool (or whatever you used) and give it a softer gradation between the sharp and blurred zones. Otherwise these are superb pics!

Thanks! After I finished with the blur tool, I realized I liked it more before. I did go a bit overboard - although I am still experimenting with photoshop.

Thanks! After I finished with the blur tool, I realized I liked it more before. I did go a bit overboard - although I am still experimenting with photoshop.

Its not at all bad, but it would be better if there was a wider gradation between the zones. The third one in particular (although a spectacular photo!) suffers some because the fly lives in a rather sharply defined "spotlight" in a sea of blur. It is, admittedly, a challenging thing to get right, and practice will make you an expert quickly. The second image is, for me, more successful because it leaves intact the subject's focal plane, as in a tilt-shift effect.

Its not at all bad, but it would be better if there was a wider gradation between the zones. The third one in particular (although a spectacular photo!) suffers some because the fly lives in a rather sharply defined "spotlight" in a sea of blur. It is, admittedly, a challenging thing to get right, and practice will make you an expert quickly. The second image is, for me, more successful because it leaves intact the subject's focal plane, as in a tilt-shift effect.

Thanks for your feedback - I appreciate it. I'll be a little more gentle with the tool, should I choose to try it again.

@Brie: Love the regia shots. Gorgeous.

Today, Sir Ceph gets the spotlight:
cephalotus08.jpg

Beautiful ceph, but also, amazing photography. :hail:

THAT is a beautiful shot and a beautiful plant.

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T GROW!!!!

Seriously nice photos and plants, plus some mad cultivation skillz.

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T GROW!!!!

Seriously nice photos and plants, plus some mad cultivation skillz.

Thanks, and actually, I can't grow any Drosera worth a damn except capensis and spathulata! Most of the others hate me. Oh, wait....I can grow D. roseana reasonably well. I don't know why the Drosera hate me, but they do. Never mind.....there's always this!!!:
tiveyi-25.jpg

Back