What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rechargeable Batteries

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Do rechargeable batteries eventually lose their capability of recharging. I've been using the same 4 batteries for the past 22 months and in the past few months they lhave enough life for a few pictures.

Last edited:
I would say yes. The science/chemistry I can't explain thoroughly enough, but, it is a well observed fact that laptop and cellphone batteries will lose their ability to keep a charge after many months/years of use. I'm sure some of the chemicals break down, or oxidize/reduce irreversibly with the amount of charge we push through them.

Some additional info :)

If you store lithium-polymer batteries for prolonged periods, charge them up to 60% approximately and only then put them away.
It is also suggested to avoid depleting the batteries completely repeatedly.
Older type of rechargeable batteries (Ni-Cd) have a memory effect when the battery looses its maximum capacity if it is repeatedly not fully charged and completely discharged.

This is what I have:

001-17.jpg

Do rechargeable batteries eventually lose their capability of recharging. I've been using the same 4 batteries for the past 22 months and in the past few months they onlhave enough life for a few pictures.

Yes, rechargable batteries lose much of their capacity over the time and over the charging cycles.

How quickly they go into bad condition depends on
- the battery system (mostly NiMh or Li-ion)
- the quality (brandname types usually provide better lifetime than noname types)
- the charger

When you are operating your camera with 4 removable batteries they are most likely NiMh cells and you should NOT use the cheapest charger to charge them. Cheap chargers often only charge the cells "by time and batterie size". Very bad system. Cheap chargers are battery killers!

Some chargers charge with a delta voltage system, sometimes called ΔV, delta-V or delta peak system. Delta chargers are the best for NiMh cells. But some simpler chargers of less quality are bundling 4 cells 2and2 (you recognize these because they only can charge 2 or 4 cells at a time), so that the delta voltage is always measured for 2 cells at a time. The best chargers for NiMh have delta voltage charge control for each single battery.

When using 4 batteries in the camera, there is another problem: If three batteries are OK and one has much less capacity, then the camera will stop operating when this one defective battery is empty. So it would be nice to find out which is the real capacity of a battery (not the nominal capacity printed on it).

Some delta chargers can also do "testing mode" and test the real battery capacity. When I find that my camera batteries become empty too quickly and I do the test, I most likely will find that 3 batteries have a capacity of around 1800 mAh or more and one with only 500 to 800 mAh. So the camera stops working when the one bad battery is empty. If your charger can test the battery capacity, you would be able to select and replace only the defective battery. Otherwise: Replace all four batteries. And replace the the charger if the batteries are NiMh and your old charger is not using the delta voltage system for each single battery charging.

Yes, rechargable batteries lose much of their capacity over the time and over the charging cycles.

How quickly they go into bad condition depends on
- the battery system (mostly NiMh or Li-ion)
- the quality (brandname types usually provide better lifetime than noname types)
- the charger

When you are operating your camera with 4 removable batteries they are most likely NiMh cells and you should NOT use the cheapest charger to charge them. Cheap chargers often only charge the cells "by time and batterie size". Very bad system. Cheap chargers are battery killers!

Some chargers charge with a delta voltage system, sometimes called ΔV, delta-V or delta peak system. Delta chargers are the best for NiMh cells. But some simpler chargers of less quality are bundling 4 cells 2and2 (you recognize these because they only can charge 2 or 4 cells at a time), so that the delta voltage is always measured for 2 cells at a time. The best chargers for NiMh have delta voltage charge control for each single battery.

When using 4 batteries in the camera, there is another problem: If three batteries are OK and one has much less capacity, then the camera will stop operating when this one defective battery is empty. So it would be nice to find out which is the real capacity of a battery (not the nominal capacity printed on it).

Some delta chargers can also do "testing mode" and test the real battery capacity. When I find that my camera batteries become empty too quickly and I do the test, I most likely will find that 3 batteries have a capacity of around 1800 mAh or more and one with only 500 to 800 mAh. So the camera stops working when the one bad battery is empty. If your charger can test the battery capacity, you would be able to select and replace only the defective battery. Otherwise: Replace all four batteries. And replace the the charger if the batteries are NiMh and your old charger is not using the delta voltage system for each single battery charging.

+1

Also, good chargers allow you to match set your batteries based on capacity

I really like my Maha Powerex MH-C9000, outstanding charger with all the perks mentioned. I can charge/discharge/cycle/test/condition 4 batteries at a time each with its own settings and mode

Gill is also spot on

Av

This is what I have

That's a typical battery killer charging system.
Fills your batteries quickly.
Kills your batteries quickly.

This is what I have, also available in the U.S.:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50

Although you have to press some buttons to quickly charge your batteries with 700 mA (default without pressing any button: 200 mA), this one has many advantages against cheap chargers, such as better lifetime with more charging-discharging cycles for your batteries and a "test mode" that shows you the actual capacity (after some time, the testing requires charging - testing while discharging - charging again, so it takes long to complete the test).

Hmmmmm..... well... Christmas is coming soon... It served pretty well for about a year-and-a-half... and the price was right - free. So hopefully, I can upgrade to a better system, soon. Thanks for the guidance.

Sanyo Eneloops are the batteries that the camera forums I haunt say are the best right now, at least the ones made in Japan.

Skimmed over this quickly.

I use a lot of rechargeable batteries and had a cheap charger and batteries at first.

Quick chargers are a killers of rechargeable batteries.

The Lacrosse charger in the above post is the one I use. Great charger.

As stated above get Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Most NiMh batteries lose charge just still on the shelf not in use. The Eneloop batteries will retain like 80% of there charge sitting for a year. Most other batteries are dead in 2 months.

The Eneloop also have more charging cycles then most of the others out there. They came out with a new formula not long ago which is supposed to be even better.

Fast chargers produce more heat in the batteries which accelerates the decomposition of the chemical compounds in the battery. And many of the cheap chargers don't switch off when the battery is charged. Overcharging is not good either.

Yup, buy Eneloops or other low self discharge (LSD) batteries. Use a smart charger like the LaCrosse charger. I've also tried the lsd batteries from Rayovac and they seem to be pretty good.

I'll put that on the Christmas list!

Do rechargeable batteries eventually lose their capability of recharging. I've been using the same 4 batteries for the past 22 months and in the past few months they lhave enough life for a few pictures.

I use NmHi batteries and they last a few years before they stop holding a charge. Thomas Distributing on the web sells good ones. Some brands (like everything else) will stink, others are great. I use a Maha 4 cell charger.

Back