User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tissue culture "directed study"!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I meant that since I'm using PPM, less of a food source might mean the few surviving bacteria/fungi would have less of a chance to replicate. No idea how valid that is, of course.
    The same amount of sucrose is generally used, regardless of the lowered concentration of the media salts. I made a batch of 20% MS the other day and still used 30 grams of sucrose for the liter . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The same amount of sucrose is generally used, regardless of the lowered concentration of the media salts. I made a batch of 20% MS the other day and still used 30 grams of sucrose for the liter . . .
    ...Really? I actually had no idea! The booklet that came with my kit didn't say that, and I never found that out anywhere else!

WOW. You just saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Edit: I'm confused. for carnivorous plants, it says to make a 2 liter batch with 1 liter of MS and the normal 2 tablespoons of sugar...

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Okay, I'm confused. checking a couple of other sources, they say not to dilute the sugar. But the kitchen culture kit packet says to dilute the sugar. What gives?
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For carnivorous plants, growers typically use, at the most, half-strength; and they far more commonly use 1:3, 2:5 -- even 1:10 strength media for some germination. For Murashige & Skoog (MS) Basal Medium w/ Vitamins, a full-strength batch would be 4.43 grams / liter -- far too strong for use on CPs. For the 1:5 batch, I used 0.89 grams and 30 grams of sucrose (I vary the sugar from time to time, down to 25). A good scale is a must in the long run . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have access to a precision scale, but the sugar thing bugs me... no pun intended. If carnivorous plants grow on the same amount of sugar, but a lower level of nutrients, do they just absorb less sugar? if so, why have it at the same concentration? Or do the plant structures actually use a lower than normal amount of nutrients, and somehow compensates by using extra energy?

it just doesn't make sense to me, since my sources say different things.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I'll have access to a precision scale, but the sugar thing bugs me... no pun intended. If carnivorous plants grow on the same amount of sugar, but a lower level of nutrients, do they just absorb less sugar? if so, why have it at the same concentration? Or do the plant structures actually use a lower than normal amount of nutrients, and somehow compensates by using extra energy?

it just doesn't make sense to me, since my sources say different things.

Thanks for the help!
    The plants are sensitive to the concentrated media salts -- not so to the sucrose. Also, overly-dilute media is occasionally difficult to adjust in terms of pH.

Keep in mind that the plant species you desire to TC are endemic to acidic, nitrogen-poor environments; and that the original media formulations by Muroshige and Skoog were used for the micro-propagation of tobacco -- a far different plant in terms of cultivation than, say, a Venus flytrap.

Over the years, I can not recall ever making a liter of media with a sucrose level less than 25 grams, regardless of the concentration of the media salts . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 11-20-2011 at 02:24 PM.

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds really cool! Good on your school for giving you guys a chance to explore the things that interest you most and just think, maybe you'll discover something mind blowing that will change the world of cps as we know it! I wish I could be there to watch it all
    Jenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it take to see any hint of contamination? I thought I might prepare a few jars of medium without plants, as a control to see if I can even sterilize stuff correctly. If they stay good, I can just use them later.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have gone with the first one, because hey, chicken fetuses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast