User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tissue culture "directed study"!

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Tissue culture "directed study"!

[/begin useless background material] There's an uncommonly used way to sleep in at my school: Directed study! Basically, you come up with a subject that you're interested in, and if you find a teacher willing to give and grade assignments, you can make it a class. Put it during first hour, and do the work later, and BAM! You got some extra REM coming your way!

...Originally, and I'm being totally serious here, I tried to get approval to do a directed study in injecting chicken fetuses with food coloring to see if the chicks change color.

They GRANTED IT.

But my parents told me I should do something actually scientific, so I got permission to change "...injecting chickens with food coloring" to "Plant tissue culture".

Again, they granted it.

[/end useless background material]

So here I am. I've gotten my kitchen culture kit, I've read obscene amounts of information on the subject, and I'll be attempting my first "experiment" on Tuesday. I'll be doing everything in a lab at school, using a microwave to sterilize my unicorn vessels (and of course PPM).

My first experiment, which will also serve to get the hang of sterilizing stuff, will be comparing VFTs in different concentrations of MS medium (1/3rd, 2/3rds, and full concentration), to demonstrate if carnivorous plants prefer lower nutrient levels.

Comments, questions, or seasoned-veteran tips are welcome!

Thanks, happy growing!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you should have sticked with the thing with the chickens...

A purple chicken sounds pretty scientific, scientifically awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Dude, you should have sticked with the thing with the chickens...

A purple chicken sounds pretty scientific, scientifically awesome!
    I have a feeling my parents just didn't want me raising chickens in the basement..
    .__.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inject the vft shoots with food coloring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would have gone with the chickens or perhaps even glow in the dark goldfish. That said, I will save you some time by suggesting that you don't use full-strength salts on any CP. There are already plenty of studies online that illustrate how poorly they perform under those conditions. A better experiment would involve quite the opposite: how dilute a media would still support germination and growth?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I too would have gone with the chickens or perhaps even glow in the dark goldfish. That said, I will save you some time by suggesting that you don't use full-strength salts on any CP. There are already plenty of studies online that illustrate how poorly they perform under those conditions. A better experiment would involve quite the opposite: how dilute a media would still support germination and growth?
    I will probably do that too! As it is, I have to come up with enough experiments to satisfy my teacher over the next seven months, so I'll likely do it separately. Dilute concentrations also sound easier to do than stronger ones because I imagine contamination would be a little less of an issue.

Also, here's hoping this project goes better than my "FOWRL" project... >_>

Happy growing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Dilute concentrations also sound easier to do than stronger ones because I imagine contamination would be a little less of an issue.
    Happy growing!
    The risk of contamination would be the same at any concentration of media. Sterile technique is the best and only insurance . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant that since I'm using PPM, less of a food source might mean the few surviving bacteria/fungi would have less of a chance to replicate. No idea how valid that is, of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast