What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got Nikon D3100, could use pointers

thez_yo

instigator
So, I got a fancy DSLR and I got some fancy extra parts for it including... extension tubes? is that what these are officially called? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Anyway, here's some pics from my first time that weren't too bad (we'll save the really awful for the end :jester:):
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

I haven't figured out most any of the buttons yet, and I wasn't using a tripod or anything really and it was windy... oops :lol: And some things just didn't want to focus even though they were inside and I was resting the camera against a steady object:

DSC_0076.jpg

And some stuff is just a loss :-))
DSC_0042.jpg

what is the focal length of the lens? Some issues you may be having with it is the extension tubes might not get you that much more magnification the bigger the lens. NaN had a nice link on that somewhere.....

Most of my macro work i tend to not sue the auto focus. All manual. But then my macro lens's auto focus doesn't work with my camera.... . Might be easier to try with the close up filters initially.

On the camera there is a setting "A" Aperture priority mode. Set it there, use largest F number F22 F32 I forget now. And set focuses mode for spot/center weighted. Will help for light metering and focusing on the one thing you really want to take a pic of....

nice first try if you adjust the f stops to the highest number ,more will be in focus,but the shutter speed will need to be slower

My pointers would be, read the manual from start to finish, get some lenses, and most importantly.. a tripod. In my short experience with macro work I've found a (mini) tripod to be as important as good lenses.

what is the focal length of the lens? Some issues you may be having with it is the extension tubes might not get you that much more magnification the bigger the lens. NaN had a nice link on that somewhere.....

Most of my macro work i tend to not sue the auto focus. All manual. But then my macro lens's auto focus doesn't work with my camera.... . Might be easier to try with the close up filters initally.

Ah yeah it was all manual because auto-focus wasn't focusing where I needed it to. I do need to read up on Warren's postings...

nice first try if you adjust the f stops to the highest number ,more will be in focus,but the shutter speed will need to be slower

I don't even know what that means :lol: *runs off to read manuals*

that's the nice thing with a digital camera you can play with it all day, figure out what does what ,you get to see the results instantly and it does not cost a fortune in film and processioning

You'll end up using manual focus most of the time. Even if you can change the focus hot spot many times it won't be where you need to focus. Shoot in aperture priority or full manual mode.

You need to understand the inverse relationship between f-stop (aperture setting) and shutter speed and what changing these do.

A higher f-stop (smaller aperture opening) needs slower shutter speeds for correct exposures. Lower f-stops - faster shutter speeds. Higher f-stops reduces the circle of error in the image, increased depth-of-field (DOF) so more of the image will be sharp or in focus. With macro and close-up photography the DOF is very narrow so it is usually better to use higher f-stops (f16 or higher). Most lenses give their sharpest images one or two f-stop less than their highest setting. So if the max is F22 you'll probably get sharper images at around f16.

The trade-off is slower shutter speeds. Slower shutter speeds means more image blur due to movement - be it the camera or subject or both. You can boost the shutter speed by using higher/faster ISO speeds but the tradeoff here is image quality - noise and contrast shifts occur at higher ISO speeds. How much depends a lot on the image sensor and the firmware/software of the camera. Using flash will also allow you use faster shutter speeds at higher f-stops but macro photography is usually too close for the minimum flash distance for on-camera flash or outside the coverage range of the flash. Off camera flash is an advanced topic so we'll leave it for some other day (or not if all if lucky).

My advice for now is to study up on aperture priority mode and practice manual focusing. Don't use such extreme magnification for now until you get more comfortable on setting aperture and manual focusing. The longer the extension factor from tubes the more magnification is possible. Try a shorter combination of tubes. Be aware though every time you change a lens you'll probably get dust in the camera which can show up in the image if it ends up on the sensor.

Some one posted a link to a DSLR simulator which is a great tool to help you understand the relationship of aperture, shutter speed and ISO speed and how it effects the resulting image. This might be useful to you since it's hard to make out much detail on the LCD screens of most cameras and not as much as a hassle as uploading the images to view on your computer.

All I can add to this is a congratulations!! I'm jealous. :D (I actually am)

Congrats, even though you chose a Nikon ;)

Practice, practice, and more practice. I learned most of my techniques by playing around with the camera.

If I might suggest a cheap and great lens that I feel is a must for all dslr camera owners is a 50mm 1.8d. Although I had a Canon, I am sure Nikon will be just as good. They're only 100 bucks and they take great pictures for what you spend. It'll allow you to experiment and take some great macro shots. Just keep messing around with your camera like everyone has said and you will catch one quickly! Congrats on the camera by the way!

Congrats, even though you chose a Nikon ;)
larry made me LOL.

I didn't fully read all the posts already here, but I'll throw a few pointers in there. Keep in mind I'm no photographer, these are just things I've picked up on over the last year or so of fiddling with my camera. XD

Yes, higher f-stops will give you more depth of field (DoF), but you've also got to be careful with it. You can't just set it as high as possible and forget it. I tried understanding the physics behind the concept (it was way over my head), but you'll get distortion due to diffraction at the highest f-stops; that might depend on the lens, but I'm pretty sure all lenses suffer from that - the nicer lenses just have a less noticeable distortion and only at higher f-stops.

Always shoot at the lowest ISO that you can practically get a shot. You may well already know that higher ISOs can produce noise. For this reason, I typically shoot at 100 ISO since I use a tripod and a remote shutter release and, therefore, can shoot with very long exposures with zero effect on the quality of the picture.

(Wait, I don't know if this can be done with a Nikon... the cable port might be a different size) And that brings me to the remote release. I can't recommend one enough. You can even DIY one for like $2 with a headphone cable and a button from RadioShack. Seriously. They make a world of difference and save you a lot of hassle (you can also use a two-second timer for each shot, which gives you pretty much equal results, but it's a hassle). Here is a picture of the one I made and use. Ghetto, for sure, but it works great.

If you want to get "professional" looking lighting, as opposed to sunlight (which, don't get me wrong, can give beautiful color to your pictures, if you can handle the white balance) and the harsh shadows that typically come with it, build yourself a cheapy light box. I built one out of PVC and some cheap white fabric. Cost like $20, and it was $20 well-invested if you ask me. Much more even and uniform lighting, and a much "softer" feel to the light. You can also use this outside and the fabric will diffuse the light and cause it to sort of bounce all around in the box, evening out the light a lot.

Try to work on composition early. I think a lot of beginning photographers (myself included) are discouraged when they look at the pictures they took and they aren't satisfied with them because they just don't "have it." Often, this is probably because the composition of the shot is just "meh" as opposed to interesting. Learn to give a picture that "pop" from the beginning, and I think you'll have a lot more fun.

I'm sure there're plenty more things I could think of, and I'll add them as I think of them.

But one thing I will mention right now is that, no matter how much I read or how much people give me tips and pointers, none of it means nearly as much to my learning as does good ol' fiddling. Experiment with your camera. Just throw that thing into manual and screw with things until you get a picture you're happy with. And once you achieve that, try to understand why whatever settings you used gave you the result you wanted. Then try to imagine how else those same techniques and settings can be applied to other situations and whatnot.

But, regardless of all that, welcome to the world of DSLRs! They're, of course, accompanied by a pretty steep learning curve, but it's so worth it. They're a lot of fun, and it is just SO friggin' satisfying to take a hundred pictures and have even one that you absolutely love.

Good luck!

EDIT: Thought of another thing. Auto focus can be used fine a lot of the time, but I highly suggest getting use to manual focusing. I can't express how frustrating it is trying to take a picture of something in motion (like our dogs) and the camera won't focus properly and I'm not familiar enough with it to get it in focus in time. I stopped using auto focus all-together with stationary objects just for that reason: to get the "feel" of it.

Autofocus can be quite helpful. It gets you in the ballpark of where you want to focus. Once there, keep your finger halfway pressed on the shutter release button so that it will no longer try to focus. Then just move your body closer or away from your subject until the the part you want to take a pic of is in focus. As far as what f-stop to use, well, it depends on the situation and what effect you're looking to achieve.

Congrats! Enjoy, play with the settings and just practice like crazy with different settings to see the results. Others have given great tips so I won't regurgitate them. And I also highly recommend the nikkor 50mm 1.8. It's an excellent lens that is super cheap.

Excellent start Zu, and some great advice.

I love my 50mm 1.8 lens (canon in my case) biggest bang for the buck there is.

Eventually you will also want a good macro.... but take your time kid, those are owie expensive.
Get the 50 first and use your tubes.

Butch

or close up filters. They do cause some light loss and really reduce the DOF, but inexpensive and easy to use. Can also stack them for more magnification. ......

Back