User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insider's Insight: Please Critique/Correct/Add To!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    wow, thats quite the article! very nice!

Im not saying its bad..because it isnt..
    but IMO its really "a bit much" for a newby..
    you dont want to scare people away by showing them something that makes growing CP's sound as complicated as nuclear physics! All those details are great for people who want to "know it all"..
    but IMO its really far too much to give to someone just starting out in the hobby..

reminds me of an episode of Northern Exposure I watched recntly, Chris was teaching Marilyn how to drive a car, it didnt go well because he started out with complicated details about how an internal combustion engine works.. "you came to me with the desire to know the time, and I taught you how to make a watch"..

I would make that the "if you want to know more, click here" document, at the bottom of the more basic newby growing guide...just my opinion!

Scot
    Agreed. great info, but start your friend off slow, with just a few plants at most. Keep it simple and let your friend ease into it. Good luck
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought so too, I guess I'm sorta OCD in that subject cause I'm like "KNOW ALL THE THINGS!" hahaha.

But the good news is that she's not totally new to the subject, and is one of those types that like knowing more. She's already read The Savage Garden- she just needs to actually start growing now (hence me mailing her plants) and I'm taking up where the book left off so she can actually do it right from the start instead of learning things the hard way.

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but IMO its really "a bit much" for a newby..
    But OTOH, it depends on the person too, as you pointed out:

All those details are great for people who want to "know it all"..
    I'm a rank noob and I admit I didn't completely understand all of that but rather than scare me off it simply made me want to learn more until I totally comprehend the parts I didn't fully get. But I'm a nut that way

Where can I find a friend like this? Is there a "for sell or trade" board I missed somewhere?
    Jenn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe links to online resources?

YMMV: some want more light than others. Many of the utrics and some of the dews haev a "Sweet spot" that you need to find. She might want to visit local resources nearby Cal State Fullerton? etc....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell her to make it to one of the LACPS meetings. There are always plants she can acquire.

Next meeting is in Dec. Our annual potluck meeting but she's not obliged to bring anything.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said you need clear containers for aquatic utrics, to the extent of my knowledge, the container should be opaque or have an opaque cover to prevent them from being overrun by algea
    Correct me if I'm wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I've gone through and added what I wanted to and edited it for "general use" as suggested.
    If Andy or a Mod feel like this is truly plant article material (omg ), then it can be moved there.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome article, Liz. I think it's important that people have something to supplement 'The Savage Garden,' because of how dated some of the finer points are (which, in my opinion, can do more harm than good, i.e., feeding your plant chocolate).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast