What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which kind(s) of cp do YOU hate?

I hate ALL carnivorous plants!!!!

Freak VFTs... as in, ones so mutated, that they can no longer catch prey. I see no point in a carnivorous plant that fails at being carnivorous.. might as well grow violets or something in that case.

Ew who grows flowers?

Utrics... They look like weeds, they grow like weeds... No matter how many of them you pull out of your sphagnum cultures or Drosera pots, they always come back. They aren't even fun -- the fun of CPs is feeding them and looking at their unique features. The "carnivorous" part of a utric isn't visible unless it is an aquatic utric and the biggest prey they can catch is a springtail.

I don't hate them, some are okay and look nice in pots... Same with pings, but less weed-looking a bit more fun but not too much. They're just not that exciting.

hate is such a strong word... how could you hate any CP? i dont have much use for utrics, dews, or sarrs though.

I personally like Utricularia because of the vast variety. They have countless shapes, styles and colours of leaves, flowers and traps. They also have a vast range of growing conditions, from temperate to tropical. I can't think of another carnivorous plant which has such a variety.

Ew who grows flowers?

Ahem...Plug the word Passiflora into Google or Bing.

I personally like Utricularia because of the vast variety. They have countless shapes, styles and colours of leaves, flowers and traps. They also have a vast range of growing conditions, from temperate to tropical. I can't think of another carnivorous plant which has such a variety.

It's true that Utricularis is one of, if not the most diverse genus of carnivorous plants, though the runners-up the sundews are the most widespread.

Last edited:
LOL I remember this thread :lol: ... I'd have to say the CPs I dislike are the ones without visible carnivory.

Oh, geez. I forgot about this.

N. Rajah. Ever since I was a child. When one ate my dog.

I have to wonder, what is the goal of this thread? I see little value in listing genera that people dislike. (I won't use the H word in conjunction with such a relatively meaningless topic)

Freak VFTs... as in, ones so mutated, that they can no longer catch prey. I see no point in a carnivorous plant that fails at being carnivorous.. might as well grow violets or something in that case.

I must agree. I don't see the alure of overly mutated plants. If they're beautiful, then okay (maybe). But some of the flytrap mutations for example I find just plain ugly (ie fused tooth, wacky traps=HURL!!!)They should be burned alive for their disfunction!lol. Wouldn't last long in the wild.

Oh, geez. I forgot about this.

Feeling a little sheepish now? :lol:

I don't hate any plants, seeing as they rarely can do anything to negatively affect my life in such a way as to deem hatred. That being said, the only plants I might come close to hating are Tansy Ragwort, Kudzu Vine, Himalayan blackberry and English Ivy.

i hate/love N.lowii because mine came with a terrible infestation of mites and i cant find a replacement

I must agree. I don't see the alure of overly mutated plants. If they're beautiful, then okay (maybe). But some of the flytrap mutations for example I find just plain ugly (ie fused tooth, wacky traps=HURL!!!)They should be burned alive for their disfunction!lol. Wouldn't last long in the wild.

I think they are great, like picasso painting :p some ppl like that, some not. You can feed wacky trap but the trap close very slowly, so dryed blood worm is a must. But i agree with you, in the wild this kind of vfts cannot hunt.

Genlisea are the most boring carnivorous plants ever.

I have to wonder, what is the goal of this thread? I see little value in listing genera that people dislike. (I won't use the H word in conjunction with such a relatively meaningless topic)

very VERY well said.

i do not particularly despise any cp........it's a plant, if i dislike it I can deal with it with minimal trifle.

there are a few im jealous/envious of:

toothy ultra highland nepenthes....even if i had the equipment i doubt i would have the patience.

heli's....don't have the equipment but maybe one day; not really a priority.

tuberous dews.....hadn't really put the effort into learning about them yet but will one day....have my hands full with cp's i can grow/already growing :)

that crazy south american plant that has the symbiotic relationship with the bugs....have to get them both to enjoy them and that is too much work.

ok there are a couple species i do not care for:

ultrics....bc i can't really see whats happening

pygmy dews.....regular sundews are small enough.

There was an argument, well over a year ago, that culminated in this thread. Reading it now, the whole thing seems pretty ridiculous.

Back