Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite animal photos...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really awesome pictures everyone.. I'm really impressed by the amount of wildlife and quality of cameras you guys have found and invested in.

I guess I can't really compare because I'm not a very prolific wildlife photographer and my cameras have never been very good, but here's a few!

Taricha granulosa

Bufo boreas and Drosera rotundifolia

Bufo boreas

Pacific Red octopus

Tube worms

Sea cucumbers

Ambystoma macrodactylum

Western Fence lizard

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus) as found, Santa Cruz Co., AZ
    Nice, I spent a ton of time in Santa Cruz county looking for aeneus while I was in AZ, no such luck for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dex good portion of the macro shots of the frogs in my post are with a $250 point and shoot....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brie - Thanks! Yeah, the vinesnake was a pretty sweet find, they are probably my second favorite snake species in the US after Rubber Boas. I've never seen a Green Ratsnake though, and they're supposed to be a lot more common than Brown Vinesnakes (which I've found two years in a row in Arizona). That vinesnake in the first photo was found this September after the monsoon - when I didn't see any the first day I went looking for them, I was worried the entire US population of them got extirpated in the fires that burned that entire portion of the state that spring (notice all the blackened, crispy vegetation in that photo). Luckily, some of them must have been underground when the flames came through and survived the inferno! I was completely stoked when I found that guy.

Wire Man - Don't give up on the jumping spiders! I've found that the best way to photograph them is to simply do it where they are found or gently nudge them into a better position. They are intelligent little critters, and tend to freak out if you try to catch them. They all tend to have individual personalities too - some will run and hide as soon as they see the camera, while others will stay put or even turn to look at the camera, seemingly curious as to what it is.

Dexenthes - Awesome finds! I love the shot of the toad with the Drosera... What shot could be better than one that combines herps and CPs? Regarding your lizard photo, I think that one might actually be a female Western Side-Blotched Lizard, Uta stansburiana elegans, since the scales look very small and granular in your photo, too small to be Sceloporus I think. Where was that photo taken? Take a look at the scales of a Western Fence Lizard here and compare it to the Western Side-Blotched Lizard here. Hard to tell from the photo though.

Aric - Yep, I hear that story a lot... People who spend many years/decades looking for vinesnakes and never turn any up. For some reason I seem to be the opposite, my friends say I'm a vinesnake magnet. Back in 2010 during my second trip to Arizona, I accidentally parked my car next to a vinesnake in a bush when I stopped for a lunch break. Then when I went to Costa Rica in June, I found four more (several people I know who were down there at a similar time didn't find any). And then this September I managed to spot another one in a burned bush as I was driving up the road (that's the one in the first image in my post). Here's the one I found in 2010:

Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus), Santa Cruz Co., AZ

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    nice rubber boa, unfortunately i live on the wrong side of the state for them.....did live on the right side for about 6 months but most of that was fall and winter....
    Skipped this post somehow... Where are you located? Rubber Boas are pretty widespread in California, Oregon, and Washington, so if you live in one of those states, you're probably within a couple hour's dive from them. Here along the Northern California coast, Rubber Boas can actually be found year-round. Males in many areas don't seem to brumate, and can be found under surface cover even in the winter as long as the temperatures are above freezing. The one pictured in my hand was found under a board this past January on a cloudy, 45-degree day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curse the lack of Canadian herp diversity...

Awesome photos though!

I think everyone will know what this is:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yay Tuatara! or however the heck its spelled lol.. Where was that taken? Not a while lota of those in captivity.. They are such cool little dinosaurs!

Here's the St Louis Zoo's tuatara breeding pens with one inhabitant....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see a tuatara! I don't think I have, even in zoos. Seeing one in the wild would be most incredible though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was taken at the Toledo zoo. They have a really great exhibit and a great reptile collection overall.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast