Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Nanny State . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nanny State . . .

One site where we do a great deal of diving for laboratories -- thousand of times over the years -- has recently received a facelift from the State of California. When first we dove the area (Carmel's famous Pebble Beach is just visible in the far distance), there was simply a crudely-stenciled sign warning about potentially rough surf, and to watch one's **** at "Mortuary" Beach. The next iteration was a stack of digital newspaper reproductions, documenting drownings and other accidents.

Now it's "DON'T BE THE NEXT VICTIM," with stick figures illustrating the only safe areas of the beach. Next to some stick-figure lobotomite flying a kite, someone is going through the spin-cycle at the water's edge.

Perhaps the next generation of signage will have a holographic whirlpool and a shark or two . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a funny sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesumo....

looking forward to seeing one of these...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have signs like that at a nearby river. It doesn't help the intoxicated individuals who think jumping off a bridge near a tangle of fallen trees is cool. Most people don't bother to learn about currents and wave physics these days.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of a similar sign I saw at a beach in SF recently reading something along the lines of "People have died here!"

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

However, all this being said, I don't think it's TOO unreasonable. In today's litigious society, covering one's rear-end is paramount.
    ¯\(º_o)/¯ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its less about watching your *** and more about saving lives... some people are just too dumb or ignorant to listen to the dangers of something.. my guess is there have been a lot of fatalities or near fatalities at this site.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

oooh wow. over 30 deaths! scary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its less about watching your *** and more about saving lives... some people are just too dumb or ignorant to listen to the dangers of something.. my guess is there have been a lot of fatalities or near fatalities at this site.
    i agree but at the same how far of an extent do we, fairly intelligent people who do not lack common sense, need to go inorder for people to actually understand that the signs are there for a reason. ya know. if 30 people have died there then it 30 less people we have to pay for their social security. stupid people ruin stuff for everyone else but they are the first to complain when something doesnt go the3re way. billy joes brother dies at beach. hes the 31st person to die at that beach. next day billy joe return for a swim. beach closed. enraged he smashed beach closed sign and warning sign... 32 people die... beach permanently closed