What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An innovation...

Rokosauros

Edward
So today I got my D. binata var multifida, and I decided to round up all the non-Nepenthes plants in my collection to put them together. My mom's been bombarding me constantly about simply dumping VFT pots and droseras randomly all around her precious garden :lol: well FEAR NO MORE, MOM! Look what I've done!! :-O

004-12.jpg

Total cost=2USD (the net, the pebbles and perhaps, the bricks? :jester:)

I'm pretty sure this won't collapse. It sure could use some room for improvement considering it's something thrown up in 5 minutes :boogie:

Haha, nothing like a super cheap fix!

Only thing I'd worry about (and I know you said you're not too worried about it, but I'll say it anyway. XD) is a cat or squirrel or SOMETHING coming along and jumping on top of it and pulling the cover in, bringing the rocks with it which would subsequently land on plants. >.< Even a good gust of wind might accomplish that. Or, you tripping on something and knocking it around. O_O

One idea (also pretty darn cheap) would be to build a simple little frame out of PVC. Zip-tie or glue to the cover to the frame and you'd probably make it a a good bit safer, probably for not more than $5. Something to think about, anyhow.

Totally off-topic, though: those rocks are really pretty. Are they naturally that white or is it some camera trickery?

Hiya reaper, those pebbles are naturally milky, with white powder over it. I suspect it's marble (or some limestone). It's very common around here.

While I AM worried, I'm pretty sure it's bulletproof :lol: I might get rid of the rocks on top instead and use something less......dangerous. Though I doubt that the animals will bother about the plants. It's crystal clear to them that these are PLANTS and not FOOD. The monkey doesn't even bother about my shadehouse, knowing that inside are worthless plants (to them).

I am really sure that the bricks won't get toppled by wind alone, it rained heavily after that and so far, no faults! Hehe.....

Monkeys don't like monkey cups?

You never know, while it may look sturdy it could eventually fall. I think you should go with what reaper said as it is a very easy/cheap/solution. I tried this once and it crushed my vfts ;)

I luv "creative engineering"!

Looks pretty cool Rok.. reminds me of one of those grave shrines with the ever burning flame.

Not at all!

Awesome! :bigthumpup:

Outdoor growing is the best,
especially with el'natural sunshine!

It was wise of you to protect them from the sun in the beginning, :clap:
as it makes their transition a bit easier for them.
Many times I have just put plants out without any slow introduction to new conditions,
but then I ended up with burnt leaves. Not a real issue as new ones take their place,
however indeed when I do have the time, I will put a temporary shade over them.
(It has always been the correct, "classic" way of doing things to get plants off to a good start.)
I do feel it best for the plant to allow the existing leaves to do their job collecting light,
instead of wasting what is there & making the plants produce new ones right away.
If done right, hardly any leaves will get burned at all, and the plants will grow on from there.

Once your plants get acclimated, you should be able to remove the shade-cloth entirely,
and let the full sun shine upon them! That is when they should really take off & grow nicely!

Nice Job!
:water:

Back