Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mini Greenhouses... Effective?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mini Greenhouses... Effective?

I'm 100% new to this and I have very limited room in my yard. It's about 15' x 10' so I was thinking of getting one of these to grow my plants in. I'm thinking the winter nights are too cold here in Delaware to just leave the plant outside otherwise I would. Or am I just being over cautious and I don't need it at all? My first plants will be 2 VFTs if that can help answer my question.
    "The rush of battle is a potent and often lethal addiction, for war is a drug..." -Chris Hedges journalist

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your VFT's should be fine outside...most likely they will be entering dormancy when they arrive at your house. Tropical pitcher plants, latin name nepenthes, are the only ones that need a greenhouse. If you end up getting some, then a greenhouse would be just fine. I have a 6' by 6' by 6' greenhouse that suits them just fine.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs need a winter dormancy anyways but not as cold as your winters get. I doubt there would be an effective way to keep it warm enough, not for only two plants that is...
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delaware?
    hmmm..probably too cold to leave them outdoors in the winter..and probably too cold for the greenhouse to be effective..on a winter night when its 10 degrees outside, it might be 12 degrees inside the greenhouse, if you are lucky..actually, the "heat" that builds up from a sunny winter day will dissipate away in about an hour..by 7pm if its 10 degrees outside the greenhouse, it will also be 10 degrees inside the greenhouse..

there is a reason you dont see a lot of home/hobby greenhouses in the north east..they dont work!
    its just too cold..and you cant heat them in the winter either..unless you dont mind paying a grand or two a month for heat...

greenhouse is no good for VFT's in your climate..
    you will have to do winter dormancy the way the rest of us do:
    http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

Scot

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    your VFT's should be fine outside...
    maybe so! Delaware is zone 7..thats borderline for outdoor dormancy, but probably doable..
    (when I typed my note above I was thinking Delaware was zone 6..should have checked a USDA zone map before I replied!

under a heavy layer of pine mulch, they will probably survive outdoors..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine survive outside year round in my in ground bog.....mulched.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, I was assuming temps would get colder. I guess I really only have one view on winter
    -Josh
    Grow list