I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEELE1 View Post
    Waitaminit... Pygmies?
    So that is all it's gonna grow?
    Pretty much. D. nitidula is a "pygmy" Drosera species...most stay pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    It'll be a lot cheaper at the pool places.
    Yep I can get 40-50# for around 10 bucks. Not sure what that all converts to though LOL
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats about $140 pesos...
    And I found a small greenhpuse that has severel droseras on sale (and I got to see a Nephenthes-like one through the glass)... Was closed when I passed, but I'll go back later to see what they have...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, very interesting...
    The store I mentioned above handles several species... They only had Droseras on sale, the Nepenthes is for exhibition purpouses-only...
    They showed me this catalog with several species, ask for them, have them sent from their greenhouse in the city of Xalapa (BTW, it's nicknamed "the city of flowers")...

I recall seeing in the catalog
    Nephentes:
    N. alata; N. raflessiana; N. miranda and N. sanguinea
    Other 2 where rather expensive hybrids... The catalog only specified it was an hybrid, not which variety...

Pinguicolas:
    P. moranensis; P. moctezumae; P. gigantea and [I](the page had a wet-stain) P. ?ita (afrodita?)

Sarracenias:
    S. catesbaei; S. farhamii; S. purpurea; S. moorei (or is it smoorei?) and S. stevensii...

Droseras (on display):
    D. filiformis; D. capensis; D. binata and a nameless one which I can't place...

The catalog also listed one species of Heliamphora, but the price seemed ridicolous to me (over 70 US)... I know it's rare and South American and stuff, but still...

What do you think?
    I want to buy one of each (a Sarracenia a Nephentes and a Pinguicola)... I guess that by November I'll have to put the Sarracenia in the fridge, but besides that I don't see any inconvenients...

So far I have on sight N. alata (according to the link provided by 31drew31 it's on the altitude range); P. moranensis and/or P. moctezumae and S. purpurea and/or S. moorei...
    Take me out of any error before I do somethig I shouldn't have done...

PS... Pool store closed when I returned (failed to see the "closed on Tuesdays" sign)
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEELE1 View Post
    Well...
    Nothing... He brougth nothing, but kept insisting that Dionaeas will be alrigth with a piece of ice in the water tray...
    And that there are Dionaeas and Muscipulas flytraps, as if they were separate genera...
    He is absolutely clueless, and absolutely wrong about the ice in the tray thing..

VFT's (and Sarracenia) need 3 months of gradually decreasing temps and photoperiod to go dormant (Autumn) then three months to *be* dormant (Winter)

Ice in the water tray? that will cool the water for about 2 minutes..and would barely cool the roots of the plant at all..completely useless..

Unless you want to put ice in the tray 48 times a day (every 30 minutes, around the clock) for 6 months straight, it will never work..
    and even then, it probably still wouldnt work, because that would only cool the roots..the plant "above ground" would still be hot and sunny..

And even your photoperiod change probably isnt enough to do it, even if you ignore the temp..some quick googling shows you get 12 hours of daylight in the winter, and 14 hours in the summer..thats only an annual 2-hour swing..not good enough..

sorry, but you probably cant grow VFT's or Sarracenia sucessfully..your climate is simply too foreign for them..

Scot

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Not a Number; 01-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew it... I couldn't have ordered them anyhow... They are dormant rigth now...
    I did however ordered a couple of Pings, 3 Droseras and a Nepenthes alata...
    I'll let you know when they arrive...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. Went to the pool business...
    They had no frinkin' idea of what I was talking about...
    Not surprised though... And nobody on MercadoLibre (Mexico's Ebay) handles it... Only the peat form...
    Sugestions?
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they sell sand filters, they sell the sand for them. They don't use sand filters for pools in Mexico ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast