Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CP's for my climate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best CP's for my climate?

So, I saved the Drosera binata from dying last week, now it's growing nicely...
    I guess it's time to buy a new one...
    So here's the deal, there's a plant expo in my town, BTW, I live in Veracruz, Mexico... Weather in the link's chart is wrong during March-June, it can be as high as 42 celsius in those infernal days of May
    I can't remember all of the species he said he had in stock (and that he would put on sale tomorrow) but I recall: several Droseras (japonica, alicia, espatulata), Sarracenia and Nephentes...
    Which ones to begin?
    Oh, and one man has flytraps on sale... They're about 2 and a half inches across, with several traps and green as can be... I'm positive that they're not petri dish plants... However I've been recomended not to grow those here, the dude assures that giving them cold water is enough... Should I let go that idea or give it another try?
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowland or Ultra-Lowland Nepenthes would do great for you in your climate outside or inside, but would need supplemental water during the dry season. Many South African Drosera would also do well, but would also need supplemental water during the dry season. They may suffer a bit during the hottest days in summer, but placing them in the shade and keeping them nice and wet they will be ok.

Here is a small list of South African dews and their care: http://www.growsundews.com/

Here is a chart that shows some Nepenthes and their preffered growing conditions (put together by a great member on TF): http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html

I would also look to see if anyone is selling Mexican Pinguicula, as those would be able to grow outside your home year round, and should need very little supplemental water except maybe on occasion.

This is a great website on Pinguicula: http://pinguicula.org/pages/pages_pr...s/content.html

I would stay away from anything needing a cold dormancy, example: Venus Fly Traps, Sarracenia. Your temperatures do not fall low enough to provide proper dormancy, so a fridge dormancy would be needed, but there are many other CP's that you can grow that do no need dormancy.

Good Luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowland Nepenthes, Mexican Pinguicula, tuberous Drosera, Drosophyllum, Byblis, and some other Drosera. You have a lot to choose from that those of us in more Norther climates struggle to keep alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok! I'll keep it in mind... Thanks, I'll let you know what I bought in the end...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mexican pings!

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Totally! You're in the perfect place for them...Mexico
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...
    Nothing... He brougth nothing, but kept insisting that Dionaeas will be alrigth with a piece of ice in the water tray...
    And that there are Dionaeas and Muscipulas flytraps, as if they were separate genera...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats too bad seele1. Dionaea muscipula (genus, species) are definitely only one plant, and there is only 1 species of flytrap. I think you will find most people will agree ice cube in the water tray will not be enough for dormancy.

You really shouldn't have much trouble finding Pinguicula in your country as there are many that naturally live in Mexico.

I know there is one person on the CPUK forum from Mexico City and may be able to help you find some CP;s. I know that person grows Nepenthes. His forum name Tuuagso. Here is a link to his profile: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showuser=2017

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast